PDA

View Full Version : erase HD

mark c
25-10-2002, 12:57 PM
With all the fuss and worry about leaving stuff on your old HD for people to blackmail you with/destroy yr business etc, what about coiling the flex from any mains power appliance around and round it so it gets scrambled in the magnetic field?

Kooky?

I mean it says on floppies "keep away from magnetic fields."

Cheers mark :D c

mashimaro
25-10-2002, 01:11 PM
If u own a company and if those data are that important... just open the drive and destroy it, scratch it, run over it do what ever u want with it :D

duckyduck
25-10-2002, 01:16 PM
If you want to wipe a Hard Drive of data you could try something like BCWipe or PGP Wipe.

godfather
25-10-2002, 01:43 PM
The flux density from a power flex will not work unless you have a HUGE load on the end, and have separated the active and neutral conductors. With a twisted flex they tend to cancel out the field.
Three phase cancels out even better.

You would need several hundred amps through a single core, and your domestic supply is usually limited by the service fuse to 60 amps...

duckyduck
25-10-2002, 02:06 PM
Talking about power to cook your hard drive, I did a interview once where the group to prevent that information from being recovered by another party had wired up there hard drive somehow with a small external flick switch on the face of the PC. If some one had busted in through the door all they had to do was flick the switch and the hard drive would have been toasted. That was the idea anyway. I was not going to get myself shot to see if the idea really worked.