PDA

View Full Version : Word 97 - Virus ?

karenr
25-10-2002, 09:38 AM
I have a document where I have cut and pasted graphics using capture express into a word document. I have been working on this document for some time and all has been well. However when opening this document this morning all the graphics have disappeared and in its place are big red x. I have run a virus scan using Norton and it has come back with nothing - Can anyone help?

PS. Yes, I have updated Norton.

Mike
25-10-2002, 09:44 AM
I don't think it's a virus. I have a feeling that when you put a picture into a Word document it doesn't actually paste it there, but just link to the file elsewhere on your computer. So if you delete the picture it's linked to, Word won't be able to display it, hence the red X (the red X appears to signify that a picture cannot be found).

Mike.

Babe Ruth
25-10-2002, 09:49 AM
Karenr,

Please see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article for help (resolution of) with your problem.

WORD97 Picture Displayed as Red "X" in Document (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q162349)

Cheers, Babe.

boga
25-10-2002, 09:52 AM
There is a bug in Word 97 that does that. You will need to download the Office 97 Service Release patch from http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/9798/sr1fact.aspx

there is also a Service Release Patch 2.

karenr
25-10-2002, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the hint, however I all ready have SR1 installed. I have just installed SR2, but it appears I am unable to restore my document so will have to start again. - All 30 pages!!!

Thanks

Billy T
25-10-2002, 04:58 PM
Karen

I can't see why you should have lost your entire document but I have two tips that might help, one immediately and the other for the future.

Tip 1:
Got to Start/Find/files or folders and initiate a search of your hard drive for file type *.* containing text [any unique word or 3 - 4 word phrase that should appear nowhere else but in that document]

Start the search then go away and do something else for 10-15 minutes.

If you are lucky (and I have been on more than one occasion) this search will find a temp copy of your file hidden away somewhere on your HD. You can't just search temp folders because you wouldn't recognise the file name and it may not be in one of the common file locations.

Rename it as [your filename].doc and save to a known location. Open and hope!

Tip 2
Large files with graphics quite often get corrupted, especially if your computer lacks memory resources so always save a spare copy of the full text before you do any major work with graphic elements. If there is a lot of graphic work to do, save a fresh copy (with new file name xx-1 xx-2 xx-3 etc at each major stage of the process.

When the final file is completed ok and printed, delete all the others.

Sure as heck beats trying to recreate 30 pages of work.

Good luck

Cheers

Billy 8-{)