PDA

View Full Version : Departitioning hard drive.

wjohn
23-10-2002, 08:53 PM
One of my computers has a partitioned hard drive and dual boot Windows/Linux. I am passing it on to a young relative and want to revert it to an unpartitioned hard drive, Windows only. Is there a simple way of doing this?

raddersnz
23-10-2002, 09:16 PM
An easy... the easiest option is to refomat the HDD. By using the windows boot disk, you can use a function called fdisk. CAUTION! This will delete everything off your HDD and you will be able to format it again in the format you want. Care needs to be taken in doing this.
Otherwise I'm not sure that you can add to a partition, but you could change the linux sector of the HDD into NTFS or FAT32, and still be able to access the data in there. It is actually a safer option, and the relative can store all personel data in there. Programs would be stored on C: as usual though.
Good luck anyway:)

nicnz
23-10-2002, 09:44 PM
If there is enough space why not leave linux on it? Even though I prefer windows (i dont want to spend all my time relearning everything), I think it's pretty valuable to know how to use additional operating systems.

A clean install of windows every now and then is good, because it gets rid of all extra garbage that can end up on a computer e.g I try out lots of different programs, then uninstall them but they still leave files behind.

If you are using NT, 2000, or Xp they all have diskmanagers which you can use to delete and reallocate partitions.

Thanks,
Nic

Shroeder
24-10-2002, 07:06 AM
If you want to repartition but not have to reinstall windows, you'll need a partition manager that can resize non-destructively.

A very good freeone is Gnu-Parted - Go here (http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/parted.html) for download.

It will need two 3.5in diskettes. You boot into linux on one and run parted from the other.

Shroeder
24-10-2002, 07:08 AM
P.S.
You will have to copy using rawrite (windows) or dd (linux) as they are both ISOs

SoniKalien
24-10-2002, 07:58 AM
1- Boot from floppy (eg Windows Emergency Boot Disk)
2- type 'fdisk /mbr' then press enter. Nothing will appear to happen.
3- type 'fdisk' again but no /mbr this time. Delete / create / arrange partitions.