PDA

View Full Version : Genealogical computing software

Pacific
23-10-2002, 08:48 PM
I have a small internet cafe using Jetstream - 5 computers. I have a background in historical/genealogical research & am running courses for people to do courses on using the internet for family history research. Are there others out there who have surfed the net & found what they believe are good sites to use. I know which ones I use but am concerned to provide participants with a broad range as well as simple lines to work through.

Helen S

Jen C
24-10-2002, 06:42 PM
Hi

Jan Gow from *NetGuide* magazine has a tutorial on Genealogy research via the internet. If you look through the articles there are numerous links provided that may be of use. You have probably seen most of them considering your background - but you never know :-)

Jan Gow's guide to Genealogy (http://www.netguide.co.nz/useful_stuff/tutorials/article.php?article_id=13&page=2)

Cheers
Jen

TonyF
24-10-2002, 07:05 PM
Hello Helen and bravo for encouraging people to sort out their family history. But doing this via only the Internet can lead to false trails and much frustration. Essential to back it all up with conventional paper research. Most folks will have a look at Cyndi's List, and maybe LDS Family search, but how to check whether the names are really yours ? Folk should be encouraged to join the NZ Soc of Genealogists, which has the Genealogical Computing Group as a part, to discover what all the resources are. ( Maybe you are already a member ...) Jen is right - have a look at what Jan Gow writes each month.
Now, I would not be surprised if a GCG member in Oamaru contacts you ....
Cheers Tony

TonyF
24-10-2002, 08:21 PM
I meant to add :- see www.genealogy.org.nz and www.gencom.org.nz for readers who are interested.
Cheers Tony