PDA

View Full Version : Which Processes can be closed in Task Manager?

Sergio
23-10-2002, 06:35 PM
Does anyone know a way or site which helps work out which processes can be closed in Task Manager? I have between 38 & 40 open yet only one application open (fax). There are bound to be several surplus to requirements which can be stopped or set to Manual Open, but which ones are they?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Mike
23-10-2002, 06:38 PM
I'm not sure, Sergio, but I don't think 40 is too many, as many of them will be Windows services that are required for Windows to run properly.

Right now I have 40 processes running, and two applications. But I also have 11 programs running in the background (shown in the task bar) which make up some of the processes.

Mike.

John Grieve
23-10-2002, 09:44 PM
The following site has a services guide for Win 2000 and links to others for NT and XP if you are running one of those.

http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/services.html

This one has lists of startup programs plus instructions for disabling startups for each Windows OS

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm

Shiloh
24-10-2002, 06:08 AM
Have a look here
http://www.blackviper.com/

Jim B
24-10-2002, 06:22 AM
You can close everything except Explorer and Systray

Mike
24-10-2002, 07:57 AM
>>> You can close everything except Explorer and Systray

LOL Not in XP you can't :D

Mike.

Danger
24-10-2002, 08:20 AM
And why can't you close Systray? I have run my PC without Systray without any problems, but I keep seeing people saying you can't close it.

Jim B
24-10-2002, 09:05 AM
There was no mention of XP in the original post.

Jim B
24-10-2002, 09:25 AM
Not sure what you are getting at Mike
Xp task manager is much the same as other systems, in task manager if you select Processes Tab you can end all running programs listed there except those associated with the system such as Explorer, taskmgr,spoolsv,sychost,lsass, services,winlogon,csrss,smss,System, and system idle process everything else can be closed.

Mike
24-10-2002, 09:34 AM
>>> Not sure what you are getting at Mike

>>> You can close everything except Explorer and Systray

Saying to somebody who doesn't really know what they're doing that you can "close everything except Explorer and Systray" would be incorrect, as there are many other things necessary for Windows XP to run correctly such as the services you listed.

>>> Explorer, taskmgr, spoolsv, sychost, lsass, services, winlogon, csrss, smss, System, and system idle

If I was reading your post in which you said "you can close everyting except Explorer and Systray" I would have gone through the list of processes and closed "everything except explorer and systray". Be precise when offering advice, as if this fellow had gone through the list as I have just described he would have found himself in more trouble. This is why I added the comment that what you said couldn't be done in XP.

Mike.

Jim B
24-10-2002, 10:54 AM
Point taken Mike, I should have mentioned it was not for XP but the original post was not very specific and your comment about XP was non-specific as well and not helpful, you could have advised the XP configuration and cleared things up so all the info was there regardless of the operating system.

Susan B
24-10-2002, 03:44 PM
>>> And why can't you close Systray? I have run my PC without Systray without any problems, but I keep seeing people saying you can't close it.

Danger, you can close it, but you won't have the Volume icon (or the clock??) and most people want those there so we tell them to leave Systray running. It's not one of the processes running that causes problems when you are troubleshooting.

duckyduck
24-10-2002, 04:11 PM
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

Look at the above link for a reasonably good list of what background items can be closed and what they are for.

A good way to close some of these would be to go

Start > Run > type in msconfig > press Enter > click on the Startup tab > have a look at what is programmed to load at startup and compare it to the list at the above link, anything that you don't require you can remove the tick > Click Apply and Ok > Restart > upon restart you will get a message advising you are using Selective Startup > tick the box.

Hopefully you will now see some improvement in regards to what is running in the background.

Also look in Start > Programs > Startup. Some programs will load temselves here to load at startup, if need be open the program and remove the option to load at startup and drag the link from the Startup to somewhere else in the Programs list.