PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98 S.E. shutdown freeze

Katydid
23-10-2002, 07:19 PM
Hi there Me the Novice again,

For some time we have had shutdown freeze, about 98% of the time. I have read in either PC World or NEt Guide about it and gone into the sites recommended to find out more and been in email contact with our PC manufacturer who sent a long email on what to do, BUT I feel it is too risky for me to try what was recommended so we have put up with the inconvenience and rebooted each time ...then it closes down after that ok.

Well after some months doing this I have noticed that the days/nights we havent been on the Net (other than checking out the mail) it shuts down fine most times, BUT if we have been on the net..... wham we get the shut down freeze. As you may have figured I dont know a lot about this wonderful invention, but is there something I could clean out before shutting down, eg. (not sure of the right names) cookies - history - temporary pages???????????????? Maybe one of those is glugging the system up?????? Ok Ok don't laugh at me - We arent all brain-boxes!!!!!!I'm doing my best. Katydid :D :8}

godfather
23-10-2002, 07:37 PM
Probably to do with Internet Explorer, which is quite integrated with Windows.

Have you downloaded and installed the shutdown patch(s)?

Terry Porritt
23-10-2002, 09:04 PM
No we certainly wont laugh, you have a real problem, it sounds as though a program may not be closing properly before you try to shut down the system. It tries to happen to me occasionally with a program called Cookie Crusher which sometimes hangs, but usually I look to see that it has closed after I shut down Internet Explorer.

What you could is to try the crt-alt-del, ie all those 3 keys together, and selectively shut down each running program after having been internet connected, but not explorer or systray, and see if any of them says program not responding. If you get that message, then that is the offending program. The solution is either to remove it or to try re-installing it.

Chao is back
23-10-2002, 10:03 PM
The Win98SE Shutdown Patch fixed that problem for me, don't feel embarressed about not knowing much everyone starts out that way, I still can't even spell right

Chao

Mandy Fisher
23-10-2002, 10:23 PM
sounds very similar to my problems but I have had trouble starting up too. I have done a disc defragment and it seems to have hurried things up.

Terry Porritt
24-10-2002, 07:48 AM
Incidently the Win98SE shut down patch can be downloaded from Microsoft

here (http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WURecommended/S_WUFeatured/Win98SE/Default.asp), bottom of page. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers