PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Modem Connect/Disconnet ..?

mashimaro
23-10-2002, 09:34 AM
I was wondering whether there is a program or settings that will allows me to say .. disconnect the modem at 2am and reconnects at 2:05am ?

The problem is that I connect to internet daily during 6pm to 8am, and at 2am the alarm system will try to connect to the security center to make sure the communication link is still intact. Since the phone line is used by the modem, the alarm can't connect to the security .. and of course I don't want to disconnect and reconnect manually and extra phone line is also not an option :D

So.. if anyone knows anything that will control the modem to connect, disconnect at a set time.. would be most appreciated ..

Cheers

-=JM=-
23-10-2002, 03:34 PM
I think you'll be needing more than that.

What happens when there is a burglary and the alarm tries to contact the security center.

Doesn't seem like much point in having the security service if it can't be used.

Graham L
23-10-2002, 03:37 PM
Should be no problem. When the burglar rips out the computer's wires, the alarm can dial out. :D If the alarm hasn't been ripped out first :-(

Chilling_Silence
23-10-2002, 03:50 PM
Auto connect can be used:
Schedule OeX to load up and check your mail at 10 past 2 each morning.
I like task scheduler. I've got a special MP3 I use to wake me up, and in WinAmp, It's saved with its own AutoLoad EQF that's been turned up. I have a special Playlist then that in turn is played when I wanna wake up!

It's fun.... Add that to the 101 uses for a PC next to your bed.. :p

tweak\'e
23-10-2002, 03:55 PM
this might be able to be fixed by setting up the alarm panel to dail out even if the line is in use. most alarms(all half decents ones that is) are setup to be first inline on the phone line so if the alarm goes off it cuts all the phones off and dials out.

all that means is you would have to reconnect to the net after it kicks you off.(autodail up ???)

Chilling_Silence
23-10-2002, 03:57 PM
Yeah.. Tweak'e is right... My gf's alarm kicks her off the phone, just have to redial afterwards... Use AutoConnect as mentioned.

mashimaro
23-10-2002, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the reply guys ... and the net gets disconnected when I'm not home so the alarm will dial to security center :D

mashimaro
23-10-2002, 04:03 PM
Oh.. another thot .. I thot there's an AT command setting to make the modem will drop off more easily when subject to other noises.. such as dialing tone from the alarm :D ?

It used to be fine when I use an Rockwell chipset external modem .. the alarm will kick off the modem but since I changed to an Ambient chipset modem .. it does wanna get off :(