PDA

View Full Version : Those 69k Email attachments,

E.ric
23-10-2002, 05:31 AM
Using
(1) MailWasher program,
(2) "do not download if bigger than 15K" mail rule.
(3) and www.mal3web.com (www.mail2wab.com)

Was able to detect, a strange attachment from unknown person, stop it with the mail program, and forward the attachment and Email on to technicalsupport@grisoft.com with out downloading it.

I only hope it saves you getting a virus.

-=JM=-
23-10-2002, 03:24 PM
Could you post that link again please. It's not working, and wasn't formatted correctly to begin with.

Heather P
23-10-2002, 03:29 PM
JM,

If you run your mouse over the link and look down in the status bar you'll see the page link - and the error.

duckyduck
23-10-2002, 03:30 PM
The Bugbear virus that was/ is doing the rounds at the moment comes in at about 68.8 to 69kb. You might have just saved yourself a lot of hassle.
That is one advantage of Mailwasher, you can at least screen your mail and anything that does not look right bounce/delete.
Apart from a drastic reduction in junk mail it has saved us from downloading a number of potential virus's as well.

E.ric
23-10-2002, 03:43 PM
Oh sorry
http://www.mail2web.com

Try that, it should work, I tested it while on "Preview" option.

by the way the attachment was a *.jpg.scr

-=JM=-
23-10-2002, 06:22 PM
Thanks for that E.ric.

E.ric
23-10-2002, 09:08 PM
Yes I really got lost on the correct URL this morning.

Right now there is a 69k data.pif , been stopped by my download mail rules.

They never give up do they.

E.ric
24-10-2002, 05:49 AM
Hi yesterday morning while at www.mail2web.com I noticed that one could forward a attachment up to 100K, but last night www.2web.com had reduced the size down to 10K, after I had forward a attachment on to www.grisoft.com (the AVG anti-virus people) it just occurred to me, maybe someone else was using www.mail2web.com to re-post virus attachments onto all of us without first downloading on to their computer and re-posting, that way that pass on a virus that does not give their own computer a virus,

The question is, if one can use this method, to re-post a virus attachment, how many other web site that can do the same as www.mail2web.com but offer unlimited attachment size. that need to be fixed up to avoid pasting virus type attachments.