PDA

View Full Version : start up and shut down problems

Mandy Fisher
22-10-2002, 10:03 PM
I have had trouble starting up, from the time I switch on my computer it is taking about 5 minutes before I can do anything. Today when I shutdown I had to press reset before it would shut down. Any one able to help?

godfather
22-10-2002, 10:15 PM
Better tell us what the pc and operating sytem is....

Also was it always like this, or did it just happen.

My PC (Win XP, Pentium 4) boots in under a minute and shuts down in half of that.

When I had Win ME, it would shut down in 10 seconds.

raddersnz
22-10-2002, 10:16 PM
If you could give a little more info, like operating system etc (likely to be XP but who knows - you do) and we could have this problem fised in a jiffy. :):)
There are power settings also, you could find these in the control panel.
Would like to help but need to know more:)

rads

duckyduck
23-10-2002, 04:38 AM
Without knowing a whole lot more about your system, I would suggest to things off hand.........

First, a defrag of the hard drive if one has not been done for a while, not the cure all for everything but can be useful.

I would also suggest looking in msconfig/startup for any programs loading during startup and running unknowling in the background.

Go > Start > Run > Type in msconfig > Enter > Click the startup tab > this will give you a list of everything that starts up with your computer > look at this link for descriptions of each items and whether it is required or not,

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

and then remove the ticks and restart, upon restarting you should get a box advising you are using Selective Startup, tick it and carry on.

Having done both of the above, any improvement?

duckyduck
23-10-2002, 04:40 AM
At this hour of morning I am a little slow..............

I would also suggest looking in Start > Programs > Startup and seeing what programs have loaded themselves here as well.

Mandy Fisher
23-10-2002, 06:55 AM
Hi there,
well thanks for your help, I have xp and have only had the computer for 5 weeks! All of this is still very new to me.

Mandy Fisher
23-10-2002, 04:34 PM
I am now having major trouble getting into anything without it jamming up. Just spent 15 minutes just resetting my computer to try to get into it. Help!!

antmannz
23-10-2002, 05:51 PM
Have you installed anything recently?? If not, take it back to the store, it should be under warranty.

Mandy Fisher
23-10-2002, 09:19 PM
I have done a disc defragment and things seem to have improved

raddersnz
23-10-2002, 09:41 PM
Continue this once a week or so from now on, it helps greatly.:)
Incidentally, what antivirus software do you run?:)

Mandy Fisher
24-10-2002, 06:51 AM
I have PC Cillan which came with my computer from Farmers. I also have AVG and a trial of Norton.

Danger
24-10-2002, 08:28 AM
Hopefully you only have one antivirus running at one time eh Mandy?

raddersnz
24-10-2002, 09:10 AM
I would get rid of two of those, as they may be competing for resources which might be why your computer is slowing down.:)
If PC Cillan is a regisered copy then keep it going. All AV programs run pretty well, just a few extras etc in other brands. Most definitions are up to date. After all they are all competing for the top spot, its just that norton seems to have had that place for a while.:);\
Good luck with future computing and always have fun]:)B-):)

Mandy Fisher
25-10-2002, 01:27 PM
I have done everything that was suggested and life is looking rosy again! Thank you

raddersnz
25-10-2002, 03:04 PM
Glad we could all be of some assistance. May your computer run smoothly from now on:).

rads;\