PDA

View Full Version : My (future) New PC

Lohsing
22-10-2002, 06:36 PM
Oh my God... I went to C-Tech PC today to pick up some ram, and they were demo-ing this little beastie from Shuttle (http://www.shuttle.com)... :O

I'm SOOOO going to save my pennies and get one of these ones (http://us.shuttle.com/specs2.asp?pro_id=85) ... the specs and explanation of what it can do are here (http://us.shuttle.com/newsDetail.asp?New_ID=6) ...

It's around $530 + GST for the box and mobo... add in cost for DVD-rom, hard drive, CPU and kick butt graphics card, and you have a seriously high end entertainment system!!

How sexy is THAT???

Lo.

Lohsing
22-10-2002, 06:39 PM
... built in LAN, built in 5.1 soundcard with optical in AND out.... :O

and even supports the latest P4 chips available!! Oooooh.... *DROOL* ... They even sell a CARRY BAG as an accessory!!

Lo.

robsonde
22-10-2002, 06:44 PM
I dont know if you can add a new graphics card to it and the onboard card is a bit light for gameing and as a home PC/internet surfing/wordprocessing box

looks sexy though :-)

godfather
22-10-2002, 06:45 PM
Be OK if you dont use it for gaming...how would you keep it cool?

Doing some graphic intensive work with my P4 2Ghz today, and the temperature rise is impressive. I have the fans on a controller module, and all case fans ran, they never run with normal business apps.

Lohsing
22-10-2002, 06:46 PM
YES YES YES!! Support up to 8X Agp slot.... they were showing me where the Radeon 9700 Pro would slot right in....

I think I've died and gone to heaven.... :x

Lohsing
22-10-2002, 06:48 PM
It has a different cooler... they were explaining like it was similar to airconditioning... where it heats up, the liquid coolant is pushed to top, extract fan cools it down and it gets pushed back past the heatsink... or something like that... but basically it'd be a snitch to overclock was what they were suggesting...

-=JM=-
22-10-2002, 07:24 PM
They use a "heatpipe" which a lot of laptops use as well now. Also some standard heatsinks are using them also.

Once you've got good sound and graphics it would be fine.

Lohsing
22-10-2002, 07:27 PM
Yeah, THAT'S what it's called... :8} ... didn't know the correct term, but doesn't it look PUUUUUURRRRTTY!!!! :D

Baldy
22-10-2002, 08:13 PM
I take it you sort of fell in love Lo.

They look real groovy!

Lohsing
22-10-2002, 08:17 PM
Oh yeah... I am in love with that thing... :x

Don't let my current PC find out, otherwise it'll start "Error Reporting" every time I want to open an app... hehe ;)

D'oh!! Too late :^O

Lo.

roofus
22-10-2002, 08:34 PM
I don't understand what the big deal is? Appart from it been pretty small, its just a normal computer. Oh and hyper-threading which i don't think you can do under windows at the moment?????

Hey Loshing didn't you just go out and by some speakers for a home entertainment set-up? Now your planning this? where are you getting all your money eh!!!!!
:d

Lohsing
22-10-2002, 08:40 PM
yeah... home theatre... ps2... x-box... :_|

I want them all NOW!! Seriously though... the size of the PC is what does it for me... The hyperthreading thing I don't understand either, but it's what the new P4's are going to be using... so better to be future-proof! ;)

Seriously though... I will have to re-visit my priorities first and see what is more important... Food ... or a nice, shiney, new entertainment system... Ummm... Go for the PC!! :^O

Ok... reality check... maybe Santa can bring it for me?? That and Heidi Klum... :8} ... See, I don't ask for much... :D

utopia
22-10-2002, 08:53 PM
> ... built in LAN, built in 5.1 soundcard with optical
> in AND out.... :O
>

OnBoard sound may not match the quality of PCI soundcards, even if its surround sound.
You *might* want to disable onboard sound and get a PCI soundcard if you want the best quality sound possible.

Lohsing
22-10-2002, 08:55 PM
Hmmm... unfortunately only one PCI slot... that was going to be the the home to the "mother of all" graphics cards... hehe ;)

I think I will need to read a few reviews of it before spending money I could be saving...

nicnz
22-10-2002, 09:21 PM
If it's got 8x AGP, that means it must have an agp slot surely... All the onboard stuff will slow down the system with any sort of strain on the system. ]:)

Lohsing
22-10-2002, 09:22 PM
Yeah yeah... I know it's got an AGP slot.. .I think the concern was with the other onboard stuff... quality of the onboard sound, etc...

Lohsing
22-10-2002, 09:28 PM
Check the review (http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/02q3/020815/minipc-01.html) of this PC out...

Better photos too! :)

nz_liam
22-10-2002, 09:30 PM
These 'Shuttle' boxes have been around for quite a while now (mainly in the US, so check the reviews (some are good, and some not so good) before you fall in love with them and part with all your money!), but havenít really hit New Zealand markets until now.

If only the modded motherboard had AMD support :_|

Cheers

Liam

Baldy
22-10-2002, 10:30 PM
> These 'Shuttle' boxes have been around for quite a
> while now (mainly in the US, so check the reviews
> (some are good, and some not so good) before you fall
> in love with them and part with all your money!), but
> havenít really hit New Zealand markets until now.
>
> If only the modded motherboard had AMD support :_|
>
> Cheers
>
> Liam

Did they call them the Shuttle, cause they powered the Space Shuttle.