PDA

View Full Version : Sleep key kills my internet connection....

promethius
22-10-2002, 03:10 PM
Whenever I press the sleep key on my keyboard it kills my internet connection. This is very annoying (esp when I am downloading stuff), is there any way to stop this happening, or do I have to just stop pressing that button?

utopia
22-10-2002, 03:28 PM
If you're using a software controlled modem, its unloaded from the RAM when you press the sleep key, making you disconect automatically.
If its hardware/firmware controlled, this shouldn't happen.

Billy T
22-10-2002, 03:28 PM
You got it in one Promethius.

Don't send your computer to sleep and your connection won't close until you ask it to.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

godfather
22-10-2002, 04:04 PM
When your computer is sent to sleep, the download application is also suspended, so getting your modem to stay connected would be futile, as it would not be able to download anyway.

Sleep means what it says.

How much work can you do when you are asleep? Enough is kept alive to enable it to wake and resume (both you and the PC)....

Clueless
22-10-2002, 06:18 PM
There is a more usefull button if you want to shut things that are unneeded down, but continue a download. This button is usually located on or near the front of the monitor, and turns off the only unneeded part of your setup :D

robo
22-10-2002, 06:21 PM
Good point, Clueless.

Thing is, putting the thing to sleep basically knackers everything. When I read the subject line on this thread my first response was "well, duh". I just don't bother with sleep mode, never have, never will. Works fine on TV and that's about it.

robo.

promethius
22-10-2002, 06:39 PM
Geesh......sorry.

Billy T
22-10-2002, 08:38 PM
Don't be sorry Promethius

No ask, No answer

Ask away

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Clueless
22-10-2002, 08:45 PM
i can arrogantly state the sleep mode sucks in many cases only because i been there done that and found out the hard way......

Vanessa and Sam allmost never get shutdown, but the screens get turned off, and that is the kind of power manangement i like. There are many who persist with power management, but as a rule, i believe, if it gets in the way...DONT USE IT.

Billy T
22-10-2002, 08:48 PM
Is this you Promethius, spelling excepted ?:|

Prometheus belonged to a race of Titans that were cousins to the Gods. One day, he looked down to the earth and was very disappointing to him. He saw men crouched in caves, half-naked. Cold and shivering by small fires. He decided to talk to Uranus. He asked him why he kept the human race in ignorance and darkness. Uranus answered "What you call ignorance is innocence my friend, as long as no one convinces them that they are not happy, they will be happy."

Prometheus was still not satisfied so he decided to bring fire to man. He caught it on a stick from the sun and carried it to the dark and damp caves of man.

As immortalised in the ancient verses:

Come on baby light my fire

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :| :) :D :^O

godfather
22-10-2002, 08:50 PM
Billy, do you talk to Uranus very much?

Its a bad sign....

Even worse when it answers back...

loser
22-10-2002, 09:52 PM
what peeves me is that even when an app is running (say watching a movie) your pc still goes to sleep... hence i don't use it.

i just switch off the monitor and speakers (not when i'm watching movies ;)), and put a piece of paper over the keyboard leds if they annoy me....

robo
23-10-2002, 04:40 AM
Didn't mean to sound rude, don't apologise. Never be afraid to ask questions, otherwise you learn nothing. Neither do the people around you.
I must ask a dozen questions a day where the answer is "Well, duh"
robo.

promethius
23-10-2002, 02:51 PM
Billy T.......yea that's kinda where i got it from, but it was the cartoon version (seriously..). It is from a cartoon called Kablam which had lot's of short cartoons. One of those cartoons was called 'promethius (spelt like that) and bob. It was about an alien trying to teach a cave man about fire, the wheel ect...so now I know where they got the idea from. There was also another cartoon in this program (kablam) called 'action league now!', it is the funniest thing I have ever seen. Does anyone else know what I am talking about?

robo
23-10-2002, 03:12 PM
The monkey is my favourite character in show with Promithius and Bob.

As for the other one, it looks a bit like what they do on What Now with Serial Stuff.

robo.

antmannz
23-10-2002, 04:46 PM
Robo, you have too much time on your hands.

Clueless
23-10-2002, 04:58 PM
Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.

Clueless
23-10-2002, 05:07 PM
inspired by some unknown force i checked out the NZ section ofH2G2 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/C161) The REAL life hitchhikers guide to the galaxy...

I think some of you creative typers should do some research, our sad wee country is horribly under represented!

Billy T
23-10-2002, 07:55 PM
Jeez God, :O

I don't quite know how to break this to you, what with you being omniscient and all seeing and all that cool stuff :8}

But ]:)

It was Uranus Prometheus was talking to, not mine.

I guess you must have been on the throne at the time.:|

Cheers

promethius
23-10-2002, 08:45 PM
robo........Action league now is soooooo much better than serial stuff, but I don't really want to get into any arguments (so why did I post this?). This forum is filled with threads like this that go waaaay off topic.....needs some moderation me thinks..............wow this post is pointless....

Billy T
24-10-2002, 08:00 AM
Promethius

Once the question is answered, the post has served its purpose. We often ramble on off-topic, it is the friendly community aspect of Press F1 that keeps us coming. If we couldn't enjoy ourselves while we are here it would simply be be an unpaid job and a thankless one at that.

I appreciate your point of view, but I suggest that once you have your answer you remove your watch on the topic and than you won't have emails bringing it up anymore.

For many regular posters press F1 offers a break from the daily grind and a chance to help somebody with a problem. I work from home and drop in at tea breaks (or whenever the boss isn't watching) and I do enjoy a bit of friendly toing and froing. If you are new to F1 (a new name means nothing here, some posters use several) you will find that there are long running gags going between contributors and we build up fraternal relationships over time. Takes a bit of getting used to for newcomers.

For all that, we dive onto new posts and aim to please with prompt and accurate answers.

Have fun

Cheers

Clueless
24-10-2002, 08:13 AM
I thought it was a feature that you can get to a new topic at the end of where an old topic has been thrashed to death and not even have to go back to forum home!

Variety is the spice of life.

Hows the weather up there?

.Clueless :P

promethius
24-10-2002, 12:36 PM
Yeah...I see what you mean. It is actually quite fun to chat with you guys/girls about pointless stuff.....and some not so pointless. I am just used to the falshpoint forum (www.flashpoint1985.com), where if you go off topic too much, the forum is locked.

Susan B
24-10-2002, 03:37 PM
>>> I am just used to the falshpoint forum (www.flashpoint1985.com), where if you go off topic too much, the forum is locked.

They wouldn't dare do that to us!! :O

That would be like the pot calling the kettle black. :D

Only abusive posts full of personal insults and certain other ravings get locked here. ;-)

Mind you, there are unwritten rules for off-topic posts and we are only allowed to hijack threads after the solution has been successfully provided.

Billy, did you have to put me off my afternoon tea?? :-( :D

Clueless
24-10-2002, 04:23 PM
>>we are only allowed to hijack threads after the solution has been successfully provided.

sometimes we even stick to that rule....
:D

Billy T
24-10-2002, 05:16 PM
Sorry Susan :8}

I was aiming for your breakfast but you must have got up early & skipped lunch as well. ]:)

Fancy you not getting to the keyboard before afternoon tea, you will never get to 2k posts if you wander around the house all day doing useful things :^O

Cheers