PDA

View Full Version : Delete "User Accounts" in Windows XP

sandy beach
21-10-2002, 08:16 AM
Hi,

Im abit puzzled, on how to delete a "User account" from Windows XP.
I know that if I log on as "Administrator" then right click My Computer\Adavanced\Settings\User profiles\ and then choose "Delete" that this should delete the chosen account.

However, theres one small other problem. If I back go to Control Panel\User Accounts\ I still see that the (supposedly) deleted "User Name" of that account still exists?

How do you get rid off it? Is this a problem experienced by all users using Windows XP Professional?

Thanks

Mike
21-10-2002, 08:33 AM

Right-click "My Computer" and click on "Manage".

When the Computer Management Console is open, click on the + next to "Local Users and Groups". Then click on "Users".

In the window on the right, click on the account you want to delete, and press the Delete button on your keyboard. A message will come up asking if you're sure you want to delete the user account. If you are, click on Yes (if not, click No :)).

This should get rid of the user. I have a feeling though that Windows XP requires at least one user (other than admin) to be in the Admin group; this may be why you can't delete that user - if that user is the only user in the admin group, it may not like to delete it (I have no idea why it needs this though, I just remember seeing a warning once that I cannot delete a user if that user is the only one in the admin group).

HTH

Mike.

Babe Ruth
21-10-2002, 08:34 AM
Sandy Beach,

You actually only deleted the users profile NOT the user account. See the following help text.
Cheers, Babe.

To delete a user account Open Computer Management.
In the console tree, click Users.
Where?
Computer Management
\System Tools
\Local Users and Groups
\Users
Right-click the user account you want to delete, and then click Delete.

Notes

To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
When you need to remove user accounts, it is a good idea to disable the accounts first.
When you are certain that disabling the account has not caused a problem, you can safely delete it.
A deleted user account cannot be recovered.
The built-in Administrator and Guest accounts cannot be deleted.

mashimaro
21-10-2002, 09:28 AM
>(I have no idea why it needs this though, I just remember seeing a warning once that I cannot delete a user if that user is the only one in the admin group).

Because if it allows you to remove the only account in the Admin Group or the only Administrator and one day you might want to install or do something that needs Adminstrator previledges, where are you going to get one :D ?

Mike
21-10-2002, 04:27 PM
> >(I have no idea why it needs this though, I just
> remember seeing a warning once that I cannot delete a
> user if that user is the only one in the admin
> group).
>
> Because if it allows you to remove the only account
> in the Admin Group or the only Administrator and one
> day you might want to install or do something that
> needs Adminstrator previledges, where are you going
> to get one :D ?

By logging into the Admin account.

Mike.

sandy beach
22-10-2002, 05:21 PM
Hi ya all,

I would like to say thanks all the people who responded to help me.

Thank You

mashimaro
23-10-2002, 09:40 AM
>By logging into the Admin account.

If it allows you to remove the only account in the Admin Group or the only Administrator, I don't think you can logging into Admin account .. because you removed them all... the account doesn't exist... :D

Mike
23-10-2002, 09:43 AM
> >By logging into the Admin account.
>
> If it allows you to remove the only account in the
> Admin Group or the only Administrator, I don't think
> you can logging into Admin account .. because you
> removed them all... the account doesn't exist... :D

Admin account is undeletable. BUT Win XP requires another account to be present in the Administrators group. If that account was deleted, Admin could still be accessed as the admin account cannot be deleted.

Mike.

mashimaro
23-10-2002, 09:54 AM
Sorry . my bad .. misread the quesiton