PDA

View Full Version : Help - Firstpage & Trojan???

J ZEP
20-10-2002, 11:01 AM
Can somebody please help me - I just installed 1st page from a link i was given yesterday and when i installed it i got this Norton message:
Norton has detected a virus on your computer

Object Name: C:\programfiles\eversoft\1stpage2...\six buttons from hell.izs
Virus name: js.trojan.windowbomb
Action taken: Unable to repair this file

I have never had a virus or anything so far so what do i do now??
Or is it just something to do with this program file??

J ZEP
20-10-2002, 11:18 AM
Oops - using win.xp, and n.a.v 2002. And i meant to say do i delete the whole program now it is installed, or just something i.e the infected file in n.a.v (accept i can't see it in n.a.v? to delete) or has norton done what it should have for me automatically i.e deleted it cause it couldn't repair it.

Graham Petrie
20-10-2002, 11:29 AM
J, don't worry about it. It is a script that you can use to force IE to open window upon window ad nauseum and cause the viewer much pain. 1st page includes it as a "joke" to put on a webpage. norton recognises it as the pain in the bum it is. Just delete the file manually, or ignore the warnings - your call. Nothing to worry about.

G P

Babe Ruth
20-10-2002, 11:30 AM
J Zep, See the following page for help JS.Trojan.WindowBomb (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/js.trojan.windowbomb.html)

Cheers, Babe.

J ZEP
20-10-2002, 11:38 AM
Phew - thanks guys, i had a funny feeling it may have been included as part of the program because of the description. I guess i will manually delete the file then, but it won't affect the rest of the progam i gather.

Graham Petrie
20-10-2002, 11:46 AM
No, it won't affect the use of 1st page one iota.

G P

Susan B
20-10-2002, 01:12 PM
Give your Nortons a pat on the back for that J ZEP because mine didn't pick that trojan up in my 1stPage. The online Trend scanner discovered it and I thought it might have been a "manufacturered" result to boost its credibility so I'm glad to hear that your Nortons picked it up. Your version is newer than mine though, even though I do have the latest definitions.

J ZEP
20-10-2002, 02:01 PM
Now the only thing i can't work out is - how to delete it if i want to, as it appears my n.a.v default settings try to repair infected files and if repair is unsuccessful deny access to it automatically, which is what has happened, but how do i get access to it to delete it??? The only place i see it is in the activity log saying that access has been denied. I just thought it seemed safer to delete infected files ( i mainly want to learn this in case of future virus probs etc... cause as i said i have never had one yet and thought i would be given the option to delete).
I presume there is some way of accessing the infected file to delete it??

Should i change my setting to ask me what to do when a virus is found in future?? Or just leave it set where it is seeing it appears to work, but i would like to be able to delete infected files.

Susan thats good to know - and in a way i am quite pleased cause its the first test run i have had with n.a.v, finally i know it is working !!

Shiloh
20-10-2002, 02:49 PM
Set norton option to ''repair then quarintine if unsucessfull'' you can then delete from quarintine. I had this problem, although I don't know how you can get rid of the file now, see if it will give you the option to quarintine the file, then you can delete it.

J ZEP
20-10-2002, 03:24 PM
Thanks Shiloh, nope i can't find any way to get access to the file to delete or quarantine it, it just doesn't show as there????(obviously cause access has been denied to it). I have definately changed my default settings, as i would rather be able to delete an infected file or at least have the option to. I am really surprised i haven't seen anybody else with this issue. Oh well I will just have to leave it as is - access denied.

Shiloh
20-10-2002, 03:38 PM
I would uninstall 1st page then reinstall, norton should then put the file in quarintine where you can delete it . make sure all settings in norton are set to ''repair then quarintine if unsucessfull'' I am asuming with the uninstall the file will go as well.

J ZEP
20-10-2002, 03:52 PM
I was thinking along the same lines too, but wondered if access to the file is denied, would it go with/be removed with an uninstall???
Its not really a biggee, as it sounds like the file in question is more of a pain/annoyance than damage causer, but it bugs me that i can't delete an infected file now cause of the previous default settings. Thanks again Shiloh.

Shiloh
20-10-2002, 04:05 PM
I would not worry about it. The virus I had was a nasty one, so I formatted and reinstalled the os. as I did not feel happy with it on my computer. I think norton anti virus is flawed with its default settings, you should always have the option to delete files. I have since had a virus that norton could not repair and I deleted it from quarantine, no problems.