PDA

View Full Version : Help the Tech time

Alan Cottrell
17-10-2002, 02:21 PM
Hello All,

I have a system here, displaying the following message at Boot up.

"Award BootBlock Bios V1.0,
Bios Rom Checksum error,
Insert system Disk.

To the limits of my knowledge this points to a nonfunctioning Bios Rom Chip, what I would like to know, is if anyone else has successfully got over this problem or can offer any solution (are bios rom chips available here) and likely cost (my gut feeling is that a motherboard replacement is going to be the most cost effective solution)

The owners assure me, they were not trying to flash the bios or anything of that nature when the problem occurred.

Over to you.

Regards
Alan

Mike
17-10-2002, 02:24 PM
Alan,

I have a feeling that the Award BootBlock is there in case something happens to the BIOS that would cause the computer not to start (as in this case). The solution is to download a new copy of the BIOS and flash the old bios (which is why you're given the option of inserting a system disk).

If you can get hold of a copy of the correct bios (good luck), put it on a boot disk and insert it at the prompt and try flashing the bios.

But I could be way wrong on this, so wait for other replies ;)

Mike.

mikebartnz
17-10-2002, 02:48 PM
Could be worth replacing the battery first just in case but it doesn't sound like the usual battery error.

Terry Porritt
17-10-2002, 03:30 PM
I think Mike is right. Ive played with re-writing parts of bios codes, but Ive got this extra piggy-back bios chip I can switch to if things go wrong.

I wonder what went wrong with this chip if it wasnt being flashed, I suppose it could have been power spikes, or it may just have thrown a wobbly.

Some boards have a 'flash enable' jumper, and also a boot block enable jumper too.

This site has some useful info on flashing and recovering from a bootblock error message.
There could be some working in the dark because the screen may not show what you are typing if and when you can get hold of the correct bios binary file for that board together with the right version of awardflash.exe.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/mainboards/award-bios-update

I suppose if the chip has gone kaput then flashing may not do much good. If you can get hold of the correct file though it could be worth a go.

Note what it says on that page about using an ISA video card if possible.
Not many boards have ISA now, which could make recovery harder.

Good luck Alan.

Graham L
17-10-2002, 03:44 PM
A previous reply (Oct 14, 2001) by Terry gives another link and more description of the problem. Use "bootblock bios" in the search of this site. It's the first thread you get.

Alan Cottrell
21-10-2002, 10:37 PM
Hello Guys,

Just to let you know,

I fixed the problem, by reflashing the Bios. (easy once I figured out why the Flash utility Chaintech provided would not work, they had it named wrong renamed it to AWD Flash.exe and away it went)

I was hoping that someone had come across the exact problem, as the usual sources were very short of info on this particular error.

From what I have been able to glean since, the purpose of this function is to stop inadvertant or malicious tampering with the bios.

Coincidentally I also found out that the owners were downloading files from Kazaa at the time of the trouble arising (left the computer downloading, came back around an hour later, everything frozen up, rebooted and could only get to the error screen) they were not running upto date virus software either.

Thanks for your help

Alan

Terry Porritt
22-10-2002, 07:59 AM
That's good to hear Alan, wonder if they also downloaded a bios virus, sounds a lot like it.

Cheers.