PDA

View Full Version : KDE3

Mike
17-10-2002, 02:10 PM
I'm back in linux again :p trying to figure it out. Got the internet working, so now I'm trying to figure out what to do next.

Anyway, I came across KDE.org and saw in there that KDE3 is out and I've only got KDE2.something, and so I was wondering whether it's worth trying to upgrade, and what do I have to do to get it :) I downloaded some RPMs for it, but when I run them it asks for my Linux CD 4 (my linux set only came on 3 CDs ;))

Running Mandrake 8.2 (I downloaded the RPMs for MDK8.2)

Mike.

loser
17-10-2002, 02:33 PM
hey mike, does your software manager security update thingee work? do you know what I'm talking about?
rpmdrake I think it's called. Anyways, coz I'm running mandrake 8.2 too and I can't seem to connect to any of the servers...

I would do the update, if not for the benefits of an updated version, then at least for the experience... updating software in linux is not like doing it in windows is it? I haven't quite figured it out yet, coz I haven't had time...

let us know how you get on... do you use kde all the time? I've tryed kde, gnome and enlightenment, but i did some stuff to enlightenment (like delete some backgrounds that were real cool) and I can't get them back. I like the look of gnome, I like to use enlightenment except always clicking for the menu and stuff seems to be worse on my wrist than using a taskbar based gui...

Mike
17-10-2002, 04:25 PM
> hey mike, does your software manager security update thingee work?

I have no idea - just keeps given me errors :)

> I would do the update, if not for the benefits of an updated version, then at least for the experience...
> updating software in linux is not like doing it in windows is it? I haven't quite figured it out yet,
> coz I haven't had time...

Well I can't figure out how to install KDE3 :) it tells me I need QT3 (whatever that is) so I found QT3 and downloaded it, now I can't figure out how to install it - any help anyone?

Chilling_Silence
17-10-2002, 04:41 PM
RedHat 8.0 comes with KDE3, that's what I'm using at the moment

Chilling_Silence
17-10-2002, 04:43 PM
BTW, Mike, If you have any luck, Let me know, as so far I've had no joy. Maybe I should just face that I'm a MS man thru and thru :p :D ;)

Graham L
17-10-2002, 04:44 PM
It's probably QuickTime. If it's an .rpm package, you can install it by using the RPM tool in your GUI, or in a terminal window ... cd to the directory the package is in, "su", then "rpm -ivvh whatever.it.is.called.rpm". If its a tarball (.tgz or .tar.gz) do up to the "su" then "tar -xvzf whatever.it.is.called.tgz". It will make a directory and unpack into that. Go into that directory and READ THE DOCUMENTS. It will tell you how to do it.

If you're installing a new KDE, it will probably be safest to close the current GUI, and install the KDE from the command line Linux. It might be OK to do it with the GUI tool ... but ;-)

Mike
17-10-2002, 04:54 PM
>>> It's probably QuickTime

It's definitely not QuickTime :) It's some development tool that's required for running KDE (I downloaded it from Trolltech). I've downloaded it and unpacked it where it told me to unpack it, but then it goes and tells me to put some license file into my home directory, so I put the only license file into the home directory, but when I try to run ./configure it tells me that the license file is missing X-(, so I can't install it, and therefore I can't install KDE (as it's required for KDE)

Mike.

Graham L
17-10-2002, 05:03 PM
OK ... have a read of the configure file, looking for the test. It will be a script. If you know what the licence file is called, do grep "licence.file.name" configure, and it will tell you the path where it wants to find it. (If it has something like "$HOME" in the path, and you can't guess what that means, put a line in the script just before the test : echo "It wants " $HOME )

Mike
17-10-2002, 05:54 PM
Thanks Graham - I've got the license sorted now - edited the configure file and pointed it directly at the license file, and that worked.

Now I have a different problem :) Where should the .profile file be stored for root? The install file tells me to edit the .profile file and add some lines to it, which I did (copied and pasted to get the settings correct), but when I got and run configure again it gives me this message:

The environment variable $QTDIR is not set correctly. It is currently
set to "", but it should be set to this directory,
which is "/usr/local/qt".

Please read the INSTALL file for instructions on how to set $QTDIR
correctly. If you have set $QTDIR in your .profile or .login, you
will need to log out and log in again to make the setting effective.

Problem is I've done all that, but it still doesn't work :) I think I might just give up on Linux LOL ;)

Mike.

Graham L
17-10-2002, 06:06 PM
The .profile for root should be in /root. The first time a thing like KDE or GIMP is used by any user, it will create a file or files on that user's home directory so that each can have their own preferred settings. The "." at the start means the file is hidden for usual directories. "ls -A" will show All files.

Try typing "set QTDIR=/usr/local/qt" . You might need to export it :try "export --help".

Mike
17-10-2002, 07:25 PM
>>> The .profile for root should be in /root.

Well I had it in the right place then...

>>> Try typing "set QTDIR=/usr/local/qt" . You might need to export it :try "export --help".

I tried entering QTDIR=/usr/local/qt (without the "set") and then typed cd /$QTDIR and that put me into the /usr/local/qt directory, but even after doing that running configure gave me the same message. I think I may have maybe put something in the wrong folder somewhere.

Mike.

Graham L
18-10-2002, 04:16 PM
Logout, and login. Type "set | more" and you will see all your environment settings. Be sure you have them correct ... (including a leading "/" for absolute paths, rather than relative).

These things have to be only exactly right. :D

Graeme
18-10-2002, 08:21 PM
Mandrake 9.0 has KDE 3.0.3
You can order 3 CDs for $20 here[\url]
http://www.xsolutions.co.nz/index.shtml (http://www.xsolutions.co.nz/index.shtml)

or [url]www.tech-broker.com
or www.cheapbytes.com

Graeme

Mike
18-10-2002, 08:53 PM
>>> These things have to be only exactly right.

So I found out :) I've given up on trying to set that up now - I managed to get the settings right (ended up being in .bashrc or something, the .profile file wasn't being read it seems. Anyway, after that was sorted I got the next error :) So now I'm off to find a new linux project (hopefully I won't be put off too much LOL)

thanks for all your help though - it's made me learn a little about the workings of Linux now. :D

Mike.