PDA

View Full Version : family trees

johnboy
17-10-2002, 01:42 PM
Does anyone know of a decent free program to record family tree's please.. I,ve had a look on the best search engine in the world but can,t find one ,,,thanks

mikebartnz
17-10-2002, 02:53 PM
Don't know about free ones but I bought Family Tree Maker from the Wharehouse Stationary for about $40 and have foun it very good.

Peter
17-10-2002, 03:31 PM
Set your page layout to Landscape.
Create a Table in MSWord.
Each cell can be formated or left vacant. Each cell can have a conecting line, or not.
Generations can drop down in Rows with offspring in Columns (set to the number of children in each generation).
Comercial 'Trees' can't cope with divorces, multiple marriages and children born 'out of wedlock'.
Have fun.

Craigb
17-10-2002, 04:03 PM
I've used a program that is free from the Mormon site www.ldscatalog.com. Just click on the link in Family History for Free Downloads. Its fairly basic but you can use it to start with and (I think) convert it to a data base the most other Family Tree programs, use once you've decided if you need another program with more bells and whistles.

Laurie
17-10-2002, 04:38 PM
Hi johnboy - We use a program called Personal Ancestral File from http://www.familysearch.org We have been using it for a couple of years now and works OK. FREE TO. It takes a bit to get going but its my wifes program as she has done both of our families. I can't drive it. If you need help contact me.
Laurie

johnboy
17-10-2002, 09:34 PM
thanks for that downloading it now thanks alot...

mikebartnz
17-10-2002, 10:30 PM
"Comercial 'Trees' can't cope with divorces, multiple marriages and children born 'out of wedlock'."
Peter Family Tree Maker seems to cope with the above ok.

Baldy
17-10-2002, 11:35 PM
I'm too scared to do my family tree, but my daughter is really keen.

Hopefully PoppaJohn will see this thread - he has given me some excellent tips on how to go about it.

BALDY:-)

Gorela
17-10-2002, 11:53 PM
Obviously a wee bit late, but you could have a look at Brothers Keeper. It is a shareware program that has certain features disabled which become enabled with purchase. The disabled features aren't to much of a concern and the program is rather slick for a semi-freebie.

johnboy
18-10-2002, 12:01 AM
"Comercial 'Trees' can't cope with divorces, multiple marriages and children born 'out of wedlock'."
holy cow that means i can't enter half my lot .. ;)

Poppa John
18-10-2002, 07:27 AM
I use the www.familysearch.org & findit the best of many. It is the LDS Morman Church Researchoutfit. They are also in most towns & cities. This is the place to go for all your info. It is on micro fische & film & is free, donations happily received.
My line is back to 1746 Proven & 1654 Unproven. Go for it. We will be doing Maryann's next. I doubt there will be as many skeletons in her cupboard as are in mine!!!!! bemused Poppa John:D

Bob Kehely
18-10-2002, 08:56 AM
Hello Johnboy,

Have a look here,http://www.webattack.com/ for a freebie called
great family.

cheers,

Bob

johnboy
18-10-2002, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the info trying mormon one looking good at the moment thanks again

johnboy
18-10-2002, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the info trying mormon one looking good at the moment thanks again

Iris
18-10-2002, 10:09 AM
> Thanks for the info trying mormon one looking
> good at the moment thanks again

Another good one (free) www.LegacyFamilyTree.com

I've used both quite successfully for some time now.

Iris

leshibbard
18-10-2002, 04:42 PM
Yes there are several good free programs.

PAF5.1 www.familysearch.org, LEGACY4 www.legacyfamilytree.com, Ancestry Family Tree www.ancestry.com.

PAF5.1 would be a good place to start.

Les3

leshibbard
18-10-2002, 04:56 PM
John, you are fortunate to get back so far: 1654 and 1746.

I am struggling at 1754, for my direct line, and that was paying a firm in England back in the 1980's.

Downloaded a will from www,pro-line.uk for that person but not too whether he is the right man, might have to come forward a few years.

The PDF format is fantastic, you can blow the print up without distortion.

Quite a few people can go as far back as the dooms day book of 1066 !.

Regards,

Les3