PDA

View Full Version : Partition Magic

DaveC
17-10-2002, 10:56 AM
Oh the wonders of "intuitive" third party applications!! I was trying to repartition my 15 Gig hDD, by resizing the 1 original partition and then moving that 1 gig further on the drive, allowing me enough space to make a bootable partition for an installation of Windows Advanced Server 2000. Sure it made sense....

Well Partition Magic Pro v.7 was the app of choice and on reboot I was unable to boot from either the boot disc OR the PMagic rescue disc OR the HDD. I assume the reason the Rescue disc fails is that the original C: is now shown in Fdisk as a Non-Dos drive, without a label. I have managed to view all the files with Zero Assumption Recovery (another 3rd Party wonder)...

Fdisk won't help, so how do I amend the MBR???

Marty2001
17-10-2002, 11:37 AM
In Fdisk, the second drive should still be the active partition
As you can see the files - in the root of d: is boot.ini (hidden - read only)
Make boot.ini attrib - h - r to stop it being hidden and read only
Try changing the numbers for partition that say 1 to 2 or 0 to 1 - which is the partition it looks in to boot up from.

mikebartnz
17-10-2002, 02:57 PM
Boot from the CD and use the recovery console. Type Help to find out about fixmbr.

mikebartnz
17-10-2002, 02:59 PM
Silly of me you were about to install Win20000 so forget what I posted before.

Graham L
17-10-2002, 03:38 PM
The "boot disk", and "PMagic Rescue disk" are floppies, are they? If you can't boot from them, you need to change the boot device order in the BIOS.

Once you've done that, you should be able to use PM to fix it up ... if you're lucky ;-)

Modifying partitions is always dangerous ...