PDA

View Full Version : buying notebook via internet

jedi
17-10-2002, 08:46 AM
Hi all, has anyone experienced difficulties in buying a notebook over the internet. i am thinking of buying a sony notebook in the USA. the prices are so much cheaper. if anyone know of the pros and cons please advise

roofus
17-10-2002, 08:53 AM
1. Warranty issues. (will it come with a global warranty?)
2. USA uses 110v as opposed to our 240v, you will need to by a converter, or a new cable
3. Is the site a reputable site (doesn't matter too much)
4. How is payment made? Do they have a secure-server (look for the padlock at the bottom of IE, when you are at the checkout stage of buying it)

Note: If this site is a con, and you lose your money, you will only be liable for $50. Visa/Mastercard will cover the rest.

jedi
17-10-2002, 09:01 AM
this site is verisign certified and has secure. Warranted only for the USA only.
Thanks for the info. Good factors to weigh against

rayonline
17-10-2002, 01:05 PM
i bought a IBM Thinkpad X20 on eBay. 1/2 yr used. 3yr total intl warranty on it. I called IBM NZ to get the warranty actioned here. Since jus over 1yr, I got the HDD replaced since faulty. And the CD ROM replaced since the door flap was loose. All done in 24hrs from my phone call - they courier parts from CHC. I bought for $2,400nz, delivery + custom = another $400. IBM NZ similar to IBM USA - was $4,000nz + 500 dock + 500 cd-rom .......

Since I have got ram for $115nz 256MB (now total of 320MB), $60nz Mini PCI 3Com 56k modem + 100/10 ethernet (this is $550nz here). These include freight charges. It does not have IRDA (ultraportable), will get a black IRDA USB port when aunt from to NZ ... size of a thick felt pen lid - does not use cable, it just sticks out ie... like USB memory keyrings.

I prefer eBay since cheaper and can rely sellers feedback than a shop u have never heard about. Custom charges u 12.5% GST if over $600nz declared. They will open all boxes, some cases even intl mail envelopes.

Rayonline

rayonline
17-10-2002, 01:11 PM
Power is no problem. generally laptop power supply are designed for the intl traveller in mind. Just need a dick smiths converter. And hey! how many people do ever buy electrical goods just from here. You could buy a NZ laptop cable for bout 80-120$. Modem also no problem. If u read the info its supported in nz/usa telephone systems as are the power supply.

Was sent via Paypal .... FX rates is a premium ... generally bout 1.97 (cash), 2.14 (c/c's). So its wise to send seller a NZ bank draft in US$ or telegraph it via .... i regret this since i paid like $125 more when i could of done a 10$ bank draft or $25 telegraphic transfer.

my intl warranty still last to sept or oct next year. i bought last yr october.

Rayonline

rayonline
17-10-2002, 01:11 PM
choose ur, seller wisely!!!!

Rayonline.

rayonline
17-10-2002, 01:18 PM
note the hdd was perfect when it had arrived. the cd rom was also fine.
i receive product in 2001 Oct/sept, these 2 was replaced 2002 April.

Ray

rayonline
17-10-2002, 01:25 PM
let me add, when u travel to N. Amerca its a haven!
Clothing and such becomes soo much cheaper too. Like new asics for $35US, CK jeans $15US. Prada neck ties $50US (normally $250US). Many of these are stores in the USA ie.. NY Madison Ave and can provide refunds if u send back or visit their shop. Original tags are included.

I do not shop in NZ anymore unless if for CD's, case, softwares ....... and FOOD of course! My Nikon Camera F100 is like 2k overseas, 3k here. All w/ 1yr intl warranty. I emailed Nikon USA. Digi SLR Nikon D100 = 6k here, over there - $4k ($3.6k w/ no warranty but NEW gray import). Pick there and come back save the intl postage and customs.

Ray

Susan B
17-10-2002, 01:47 PM
>>> let me add, when u travel to N. Amerca its a haven!

Let me know when you're going next and I'll give you a shopping list and suitcase. Money too if you need it. ;-) :D

rayonline
17-10-2002, 02:31 PM
> Let me know when you're going next and I'll give you
> a shopping list and suitcase. Money too if you need
> it. ;-) :D

Money - I need lots of it!! For ur shopping list, excess baggage, detainment by USA FBI and a quarter for my wage :)

I just buy substitutes overseas, more selection and cheaper. I doh spend more than as if I would buy from here even if I could get a higher model but its slightly higher than the basic one here. if a higher model but lower than the basic one in nz then maybe....Everything is a investment, *sigh* life has enof hassles already. Will use my laptop for more than a few yrs and my camera. It does its job and am not into adv gaming needing GeForce 6 or whatever......