PDA

View Full Version : Memory Test Failure

nzotago
16-10-2002, 10:22 PM
Hello All,

My poor old 1996 model PC General, Ernie, has finally refused to be pushed by application requirements well beyond his intended scope anymore and as of this afternoon will only start to boot up stopping at the memory count and then stating in no uncertain terms...

"Memory Test Failure"

I don't have the heart yet to tell him he is soon to be replaced by a younger more nubile model. If only I can get him through another month, then I can put him out to pasture for some gentle and educational (probably not) tinkering, satisfied that he has been all he could be.

Please, I beg of you, help me to get him through this late time in the twilight (leaning towards moonless night) of his career.

Yours with Hope,

nzotago

Babe Ruth
16-10-2002, 11:08 PM
nzotago,

Well its nearly terminal I'm afraid... but let's try one more thing

Open up the patient to expose the offending system
Ensure you are yourself well earthed and the mains power (to the patient) is OFF
Now remove each of the patients' brain cells (memory [RAM] modules) one at a time and then replace firmly in the braincell orifice.

Close the patient up and reapply normal functions (Power up)
Check for normal brain activity. If heartbeat ok release patient to recupuration ward.
If not then the system mainboard may have terminated.
If so then the morgue is the only place.

Cheers, Babe.

Graham L
17-10-2002, 04:34 PM
If he's 1996, he might have 72 pin SIMMS. If he's got 30 pin ones, they need to be pulled 2 or 4 at a time (depending on 386 or 486 CPU). If he's a pentium, they will be 72 pins and need to be pulled 2 at a time.

nzotago
17-10-2002, 09:42 PM
Appreciate the advice I will be attempting this delicate home surgery replacing the cancerous RAM as soon as possible.

Thanks Again