PDA

View Full Version : Adding a incompatible PC link to a network..

John W
16-10-2002, 06:15 PM
I need to add a PC onto our coax cabled network, but the new (to us) PC has a phone style plastic plug, incompatible with the metal belinglee? coax metal plugs.

Worse still, this PC replaces one that is the centre of the cabled network, so there is a Tee peice at the rear of the replaced PC with two coax leads connected to it.

Any idea how to add the incompatible PC to the network?

Thanks....John.

tweak\'e
16-10-2002, 07:00 PM
easy way....change the lan card to a combo RJ-45/BNC one.

hard way- change the whole network to RJ-45.

John W
16-10-2002, 08:57 PM
OK, what I didnt mention is the new PC is a Laptop, with a PCMCIA card Modem/Network card. This sits at the centre of the network, with the other two desktop 20M away, on either side.

tweak\'e
16-10-2002, 09:59 PM
depending on the other pc's i'd be inclined to upgrade the whole network. otherwise get a BNC network card for the laptop.

can you get BNC to RJ hubs??

Babe Ruth
16-10-2002, 10:15 PM
John W,

You could upgrade your network with a Dlink DE-809TC/N 9-PORT 10BT Unmanaged Ethernet Mini Hub 1 BNC PORT, check with your local supplier or check prices etc with XP Computer Limited (http://www.xpc.co.nz/home.html) and contacts (http://www.xpc.co.nz/contact.htm).

Note you're currently probably only running 10Mb network - which isn't a problem in itself... the comments made in earlier post re update network could see you move to 100Mb.

Anyway post back if we can help you any more.

Cheers, Babe.

roofus
17-10-2002, 08:58 AM
Hey guys, since he use to have a T connection, doesn't mean that he was once using a Token Ring protocol?

Graham L
17-10-2002, 04:17 PM
There are hubs which have one BNC and a number of RJ45 sockets.

I've got adapters/tranceivers which go from the D15P on a tap on thick ethernet cable to BNC or RJ45, but I don't think that they would work conneced backtoback (The could be connected with a bit of jiggery :D )

A quick and dirty solution would be a second card (with the RJ45) in one of the other computers and run a router programme in it.

roofus: T-adaptors don't mean token ring ... Token Ring uses 75ohm (RG-62) cable in a star configuration. 10Base-2 uses 50om (RG58-c) cable in a chain