PDA

View Full Version : Sound Card and CD Rom Drive compatability

Mike Gibson
16-10-2002, 06:05 PM
I have what I believe is a Panasonic or Matsushita CD ROM (CR-563) that will not work on an on board IDE as a slave or master. Is their a specific sound card with an IDE connection to run it? has anyone had some experience with the same problem. I am setting up a PC for small children to play games on. Thanks.

Babe Ruth
16-10-2002, 07:07 PM
Mike,

From the Web "The CR-563 is a 2X OEM CD-ROM from Matsuchita/Panasonic that uses a proprietary -- not ATAPI, not EIDE, not IDE -- interface.
Normally, this drive was connected to the system using a sound card -- often it was a Sound Blaster 16. The card typically had connectors for Matsuchita, Sony, and Mitsumi proprietary drives, although some had just one connector, and later versions had an IDE connector. The connectors were clearly labeled."

So you need to source a SoundBlaster-16 or equivalent soundcard with an cdrom interface, (should be able to get something from TradeMe or a traded in one from your local PC repair shop or similar)

Windows 9x drivers for the CR-563 using a SB16 are available at Win9x_Drivers (http://www.americas.creative.com/support/files/download.asp?Centric=41&OS=4)

There is a lot of info on the web re settings these cdroms up.. try a search for CR-563 in Google (http://www.google.co.nz/)

Cheers, Babe.

Terry Porritt
16-10-2002, 08:48 PM
These drives were (and are a pain), as Babe says you need an old Creative sound card/or a specific cdrom controller card for that drive. Be aware that as the connector is the same as an IDE, plugging the drive into an IDE controller on a sound card can damage the sound card as I found to my cost once.
Really they are just not worth bothering with, it would be much cheaper in the long run, and easier to get hold of a similar or higher speed IDE drive.

Graham L
17-10-2002, 04:28 PM
Creative gave away a little ISA card with them which was the interface. I once saw huge cartons of them(tossed because the drives were always sold with sound cards) ... I bought a few of the drives for $5 each. These cards were also made by others ... I bought one from PC General once ($14 or so).

Those 563-B drives are 2X ... The advantage is that you can hang 4 of them on one interface card ... there are 4 jumper positions for drive# 0,1,2,3 .