PDA

View Full Version : Big speed difference?

mashimaro
16-10-2002, 04:30 PM
Hrere's something I don't quite understand, I have 4 PC connected to a HUB. If I'm sitting on Machine A and drop 600MB of data into a shared folder in Machine B, it would take ages .. and the lights on the HUB would flash slowly ...

But if I do it the otherway round, ie. I go to Machine B and pull those 600MB data from a shared folder in Machine A, it is much much quicker .. the lights on the HUB flashes so fast that it looks if they're on constantly ...

It doesn't matter on which machine .. the packets transfers much quicker when I'm reading across the network than I'm writing across the network.

Now.. why ?

raddersnz
16-10-2002, 04:36 PM
Not totally sure of this :p but I think that reading and writing work differently.
If you write to floppy it takes a while wheras reading from it takes a sec
Presume its the same :)

Graham L
16-10-2002, 04:39 PM
Interesting question. ;-)

A guess:

A machine which is "asking" for a file, "knows" it has asked, and is not doing security checking (and making sure that there is disk space available, etc) at each packet.

A machine which is receiving a file "pushed" by another might be doing these checks at each packet. This could slow things down a lot.

roofus
16-10-2002, 05:05 PM
How much slower are we talking here? 1 minute? 20 minutes?

If it is the later, it is possible that your network settings are incorrect, forexample you have your NIC set at half duplex.

When i had a network, i had problems with it been fast 1 way, but almost no speed the other way, and that was because of a variation in the settings between the two.

Also have a look at your hub, and see what the collision rate is like

mashimaro
16-10-2002, 05:16 PM
I'm at work now .. i'll go home and have a look at those settings ...

Cheers