PDA

View Full Version : Open Box Icons

Don H
16-10-2002, 02:42 PM
Running M.E. P111 , I have in various folders some Icons which have on them a pic of an open box. Names like ie6setup.exe, INSTALL.EXE, and ARSETUP.
These appear to be files which were used only to setup a program etc, so can they be deleted? Also in a folder named Windows Setup Files there is a text file
which says " this Folder is Safe to Delete" Is it safe to delete all contents of this folder? Some of these files are quite large, over a MB.
Thanks for any help, Don.

Susan B
16-10-2002, 04:10 PM
Can you tell us what folders these icons are residing in?

Did you upgrade to ME from Win98 or something else, or maybe upgraded to Internet Explorer 6 from an earlier version? If so then these files would be from your upgrade.

If they are in a Temp folder then yes, they will be safe to remove, providing you are happy with the upgrade and have experienced no problems.

If you delete them you won't be able to restore your computer back to how it was prior to the upgrade, that's all. That won't matter if you're having no problems due to the upgrade.

Don H
16-10-2002, 08:40 PM
Thanks Susan, The folders at a quick look are Symantec, Real, Internet Explorer, Windows Update, and Temp. I.E. was an update and I have had no problems with any of them. I will backup to a CD if I decide to delete,I just thought I could save some disc space but I do have plenty anyway.
Thanks again, Don. :-)

Susan B
16-10-2002, 08:57 PM
Right, well the ones in the Temp folder will be OK to delete but be careful with the others. Try renaming them from install.exe to install.old for a while first, then if there are no problems after say a week or two, then maybe back them up to a CD-RW before deleting.

It's a good idea to keep the hard drive clean, but not too vigorously clean! :-)