PDA

View Full Version : New Cd Writer - Can't read burnt cds from both my cd drives!?

PoWa
16-10-2002, 02:19 PM
Hi,

I just recently bought a new cd-rw drive (AOpen 40x12x48read). I have installed it as a slave drive as I am using my cd-rom drive (48x) as the master.

It all seems to work properly, and I'm pretty sure its installed correctly.

The problem is when I burn stuff to the cd-r neither of my cd drives can read what is burnt on the cd. Also once the cd is burnt, the burning programme (Nero) can't even read the cd. It says it is empty or it is a blank disc.

I have 3 cd writing programmes, Nero 5.5, Clone Cd 4.01, and InCd 3.27. The InCd programme works fine (turns cd-rw discs into a sort of floppy disc), but the others don't.

My computer is a PC Company AMD Athlon 1.1ghz, 384mb ram, WinXP Pro.

Please tell me what I can do to fix this. I want to be able to take my burnt cd's to other computers as well, so they can read the data on them. Is it settings in my burning programmes or my cd-rw drive thats the problem?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

-=JM=-
16-10-2002, 02:36 PM
Have you done the windows updates. These make a big difference to burnability.

PoWa
16-10-2002, 02:42 PM
Yes I have all the updates :) Service pack 1 and all.

Peter H
16-10-2002, 02:44 PM
Incd is doing what it is designed to do - the other progs don't allow cdrw to be used as floppys. When you burn, you MUST finalise/close the cdr to enable it to be used on a cd read only.
Bye

-=JM=-
16-10-2002, 03:05 PM
Try burning something using the built in XP burning.

Just drag some files to the CDRW in Explorer.

Chilling_Silence
16-10-2002, 03:08 PM
For burning with Nero, are you using CD-R's or CD-RW's?

mashimaro
16-10-2002, 03:22 PM
Since it's from PC Company... I'll say it's the PC .. :D

Make sure u're not on simulation only

Close the session but even if you didn't close it the Re-Writer should be able to read it.

Change to other media as some Re-Writer can be picky on the media

Can you see the burnt mark on the CD?

Last .. you have a faulty Re-Writer

CHeers

Peter H
16-10-2002, 04:09 PM
The writer must be OK, as he can burn Cdr's with Incd. You could be right about simulation. I've always found it best with Nero & Aopen drive (which I also use) to just go ahead and burn - the drive is pretty foolproof as it has Justlink & JustSpeed - appears to sort itself OK.
Bye

PoWa
16-10-2002, 05:16 PM
Thanks, I think I'll try the finalise cd option - thats probably got something to do with it.

I am using nero to burn CD-R's.

I'll get back here if that doesn't sort it out :)