PDA

View Full Version : Sevice Pack 1

csinclair83
16-10-2002, 12:53 PM
I was in control panel..removing a game i didnt want anymore..
and thought i'd see what i have installed..
and have 14 of the following..........

"windows xp hotfix (SP1) [See Q______ for more information]"

is that ACTUALLY ServicePack1? or something else?...am just asking coz of the "SP1" in brackets..
Is it????????????

Mike
16-10-2002, 01:01 PM
No :) I think it might be a hotfix to a hotfix LOL or something like that.

SP1 is quite large, and you have to tell it to install - it won't do it by itself :)

Mike.

-=JM=-
16-10-2002, 02:37 PM
I think it just means that it is one which will be included in SP1. At the moment I've got one which has a (SP2).

Mike
16-10-2002, 02:40 PM
> I think it just means that it is one which will be
> included in SP1. At the moment I've got one which has
> a (SP2).

I'm not sure it does mean that JM, cause all the hotfixes up to SP1 were included in SP1, yet only a few I noticed had SP1 attached to the name.

Mike.

-=JM=-
16-10-2002, 03:04 PM
well i wonder what they do mean then

Graham Petrie
16-10-2002, 03:41 PM
Whenever I installed a hotfix manually before SP1, it would add an entry to the add/remove programs, and a hidden folder in C:\Windows with the KB article number ibn the folder name. That is what you are seeing.

When you install SP1, it gives you the option to backup your old files so you can uninstall it (most won't bother) It then installs, adds it's own folder in C:\Windows, and an entry in add/remove programs, and removes those for the hotfixes it replaces (but leaves their folders in C:\Windows).

You can then uninstall SP1 at will. Most (like me) didn't bother backing up the old files as it warns about the space they require, and so won't have this entry in add/remove programs.

Don't worry about them.

G P