PDA

View Full Version : New flaw found in IE and OE

Mike
16-10-2002, 12:39 PM
A new flaw has been found in Internet Explorer and Outlook Express that could be quite damaging if exploited. It's recommended that users upgrade to IE6 SP1 (according to the news story).

The full story can be found here.

Mike.

Terry Porritt
16-10-2002, 01:23 PM
All these flaws are getting a bit tiresome, but I suppose MS cant be blamed, the other browsers probably have their quota holes too.

Maybe I'll go back to Mosaic, too old for anyone to bother with. Now where did I put Internet in a Box? :p

Baldy
16-10-2002, 02:02 PM
I agree Terry. Very tiresome.

I have given up worrying about all these perceived holes in IE. I am sure they would find them in other Browsers as well, but seems like everyone and their dog wants to find fault in as many MS products as they can.

Personally, I detest IE6. I run Windows ME, and it was very troublesome with IE6. Runs very sweetly with IE5.5 (well most the time anyway) so will just take my chances until MS puts out a patch. Thats if there is any need for one, that is!

Don't believe everything that comes out of Israel folks

loser
16-10-2002, 02:30 PM
I'm not so sure about other browsers having flaws like IE. Many MS apps are quite poorly written I'd say... they chew your ram and hdd up like there's no tomorrow, and most are not very stable. 3rd party apps -- even freeware ones -- tend to perform a lot better I personally thing.

The fact that someone found another flaw does not surprise me at all. I think the fact that IE is so tightly integrated into Windows must have some effect on security. Maybe other browsers are simply not allowed to access certain things that IE can since MS can dictate what is available to their own apps, which is why so many flaws are found in MS stuff...

Also due to the popularity/infamy of MS products I guess.

Just a thought ;)

-=JM=-
16-10-2002, 02:33 PM
Well IE is based on Mosaic ;)

I downloaded Mosiac not that long ago to give it a go. It was not very nice, though once you get used to it (or you already were) it might be OK.

Phoenix is my fave at the moment.

tweak\'e
16-10-2002, 06:02 PM
beats me why the IE updates are so huge. does microsoft think everyone has cable? at least with opera the whole program is smaller than a lot of MS's updates.