PDA

View Full Version : windows 98

space1
16-10-2002, 11:57 AM
It seems that the operating system I use win 98 seems to have a mild crash from time to time. The computer keeps resetting itself back to April 1997 for a date keeps losing its time and most annoying of all I loose all my bookmarks on my browser netscape 7. I have a anti virus software, firewall and adware programs installed so I am convinced that its not a virus or spyware is on the computer.

roofus
16-10-2002, 02:11 PM
A mild crash?

if your date/time is becoming inaccurate this could be because your onboard battery is dead, you will need a new one, will cost you about $3 but you have to open up the case to stick it in.
THe reason it's going back to April 1997, is thats when the bios was set in ROM, so its probably about the same time you bought the computer. Am i right?

The crash's that come, could be because the time resets itself, then a programme goes to grap the time, but it is significantly different to the time last time it checked, infact its gone backwards! and the programme has no idea what to do and self-destructs.

Graham L
16-10-2002, 02:54 PM
Does Netscape remove bookmarks if they are over a certain age, perhaps? If the system time is often (very) wrong, that could happen.

"Mild crashes" ... doesn't Windows do that anyway?

A new battery will probably fix the date/time problem. It will also maintain the CMOS settings for the hardware, which might make the OS a bit more reliable.

space1
16-10-2002, 03:15 PM
It has been only 6 months since the battery has been replaced and as for the suggestion about netscape removing bookmarks over a certain age is tripe. It has never happened before and I am a dedicated netscape user. The problem it seems is in WIN 98.

Graham L
16-10-2002, 03:24 PM
Windows does crash.

The date and time going wrong is almost certainly caused by a bad battery. More rarely, it could be a major software fault which writes to the CMOS registers. This is not common ... it's difficult to do by accident, and it normally has very noticeable effects.

If you have an ATX power supply, leaving it plugged in will normally keep the clock going, because there is a standby supply to the motherboard, even when the computer is "switched off". If your BIOS resets its date to 1997, you probably have an AT supply, which does need a good battery.

roofus
16-10-2002, 04:54 PM
Yep, either faulty battery, or bad contacts