PDA

View Full Version : All scanned pictures come out Darker than original..

John W
15-10-2002, 09:23 PM
Ive have this problem and ive noticed the same result on other pictures that are scanned on other PCs, the resultant image always comes out darker then the original.

As well, the picture is usually twice the size.

The picture is never that clear and I always have to sharpen it to make it acceptable viewing.

I use a Genius Colourpage scanner at 300dpi using the default image settings. No matter where I call the image from the result is always the same.

Thanks....John.

godfather
15-10-2002, 09:33 PM
If you are obtaining the image by "acquiring" it under a TWAIN driver, you may consider using the original image program that came with it instead?
These usually allow you to set options such as brightness etc, instead of the defaults used when directly accessing it.

The downside is that its another step in the process, but I dont think you can modify the base results on direct twain access.

In case you were wondering what TWAIN stands for, its an acronym for "Technology Without An Interesting Name"

Rod ger
15-10-2002, 09:58 PM
You should have some controls to ajust heaps of different settings before you do the scan probably where you set the dots\inch rate. normally you get a better picture if you scan large and reduce it down afterwards. Irfanview is a free download image manipulater that will allow you to adjust image sizes easily.

Mike
15-10-2002, 11:15 PM
>>> In case you were wondering what TWAIN stands for, its
>>> an acronym for "Technology Without An Interesting
>>> Name"

Oh really? According to http://www.twain.org/]TWAIN - Standard for image acquisition devices[/url] the term TWAIN comes from Kiplings The Ballad of East and West where it says "And never the twain shall meet..." :

The word TWAIN is from Kipling's "The Ballad of East and West" - "...and never the twain shall meet...", reflecting the difficulty, at the time, of connecting scanners and personal computers. It was up-cased to TWAIN to make it more distinctive. This led people to believe it was an acronym, and then to a contest to come up with an expansion. None were selected, but the entry "Technology Without An Interesting Name" continues to haunt the standard. "

So, godfather, I suggest you check your facts book LOL :D

Mike.

PeebZ
16-10-2002, 12:23 AM
HI John,

Scaning a little dark is not to much of a problem.
The Graphics software that came with the scanner should have a some form of automatied
Colour Balance, and Brightness/ Contrast level. Running these should corrected the image to appear much more like the sorce.

Now with the printing dobble size..
You most likely have you scanner set to scan in at 150dpi or 300dpi. (This is normal)
Now depening what application you print form, these imiage sizes are handled differently.
For example an image program would see that the picture is say 10cm x 10cm and the resolution is 150 dpi. But a program such as Internet Explorer would see the resolution being 150dpi and ingnore the 10cm x 10cm part. Instead this in resoultion gets scale agaist 72dpi. (Which in the 1 to 1 resolution size used in IE) - Therefore enlarging the Pic.

To Get around this - print the images from a graphics program.

Thanks
Jess

Susan B
16-10-2002, 08:41 AM
I find these replies interesting. I always fire up my Agfa scanner from within PaintShop Pro, but even if I don't I still have the ability to fiddle with the scanner's settings before scanning. There are sliders to adjust the lightness, colours, etc and it shows you what the results will be in a Preview window. Usually though, just enabling the Genius wizard button thingy adjusts it to a very good result.

There is also an option to specify the size of the scanned image but until Jess's explanation I could never understand why it didn't seem to work. :D

I would suggest fiddling with your options prior to scanning or seeing if you have a wizard to do it for you.

Mike: Your explanation of the definition of TWAIN is the first time I have heard that. Every website, book, manual, etc that I've come across states that TWAIN is an acronym for "Technology Without An Interesting Name". Even my own scanner's manual and graphics programs' manuals says that. So godfather's facts are quite right even if your explanation is also correct.

Orac
16-10-2002, 08:44 PM
Ah the age old question. And very common
Why do my blues look like a bad geen. When i print them out.

John I would first check your profiles and by that I mean
your monitor printer and scanner. The drivers disks for these devices
contain a file known as an ICC/ICM profile and these need to be installed
on your computer so that a reference points can be made. There is usally a tab in the respective device property known as colour managment or colour profiles and these profiles should reflect the manufactures model.
Having done so the theory is that the colour scanned is the colour seen and hopefully the colour printed. Incorrect colur profiles can cause all sorts of colour problems and generally have users tweaking all sorts of things when really its not needed.

More information can be found at http://www.color.org/ and icc profiles can be download from manufactures web sites

Hope this helps

==orac==