PDA

View Full Version : Boot from CDROM

Colin
15-10-2002, 05:24 PM
I have 2 CDROM drives and have made several attempts to boot from them both.I have the BIOS set CDROM,A,C and have tried putting the CD Drive letter first all to no avail.One of my drives D keeps opening and will not stay shut unless i hold it in for a while.Also which ever drive is empty and i look at its properties i am informed it has a disk in it that is all used with 0 bytes and is a FAT 32.I have been through the settings etc several times but I have missed something.The disks are detected in EXPLORER and the drive starts up if i put a disk in when in W98 or Linux which i have on seperate HDs.Both drives have updated drivers and have worked erraticly when trying to detect a blank disk or one i have written in the past.

Graham L
15-10-2002, 07:16 PM
Try removing one of the drives. (Just unplug the data cable) While you have the box open check that the jumpers are correct ... (If they are on the same IDE cable, one must be SL and the other MA).

The odd FAT32, full, size 0 may be due to the BIOS setting which makes the bootable: the boot code has to have a "real" disk.

vk_dre
15-10-2002, 07:18 PM
this maybe a dumb reply but have u tried to boot in a diff. order in bios. Maybe some of the cables have gone a bit screwed up, check to see which one is the Primary, and which one is the Secondary Slave, then see if the cables leading from each of them to the others are properly secured and in good condition.

cheers,
v.K--------------- :D

vk_dre
15-10-2002, 07:21 PM
Everybody types faster than me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why am i so slow at replying. X-(. Jokes, i'm not really angry (starts swearing at keyboard).

cheers,
v.K------------------ :D

Colin
15-10-2002, 07:34 PM
Is disconnecting physicaly the same as unchecking disconnect in the device manager?cause i tried that.Should DMA be ticked or not.Also when i do a normal boot it says
Booting from ATAPI CDROM.

Colin
16-10-2002, 07:25 AM
Is it possible to reinstall just the boot section of W98.If so how?
Would it be on my 95 disk or 98 as i have an upgraded version?
P.S.W98 disk boots OK.

Susan B
16-10-2002, 08:13 AM
>>> Would it be on my 95 disk or 98 as i have an upgraded version?
P.S.W98 disk boots OK.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Win 95 CDs are bootable. Only Win 98 onwards.

Colin
16-10-2002, 08:40 AM
Success!!!!!!!!
I put my disk in the drawer that keeps popping in and out and left the drawer open.When I rebooted the drawer popped in and all was honky dory.
Thanks to every one for your help.I mow have my Linux installation upgraded
Colin