PDA

View Full Version : How do you 'cache' streaming media?

sal
15-10-2002, 03:09 PM
theres this really cool video clip i want to save, but it appears to be streaming, i had a look in my temp. internet files, bu there are no kind of 'solid' files relating to this. i know that the file name is 'redux.asx', but its only sort of like a 'shortcut' or something (i have no idea when it comes to some extensions ?:|), anyone know how i can cheat this system, and save the video clip for offline watching?

grtz sal.
tga

*oh, and if you wanna try somethings out, the video im trying to grab is here:

http://albinoblacksheep.com/video/film/redux.html

sal
15-10-2002, 09:19 PM
*bump*

Terry Porritt
16-10-2002, 10:23 AM
Hello "bump". I'm not sure whether you can capture streaming video. streaming audio is easy enough to do with an encoder, but the various multimedia encoders Ive got like Windows Media Encoder and Real Encoder whilst can be used for capturing live audio, only give you the options to capture video from a camera via a capture card or camera attached to a port, or else encode from file on your hard drive.

I couldnt get WMP to play the video at the site you gave, maybe I have a problem there, or something turned off in WMP. Unless a site specifically allows downloading then you will most likely be blocked from getting to the directory where the file is housed. Sometimes with audio files you can find the directory to which the audio shortcut points, is not locked, maybe it's possible sometimes with multimedia files too.

Terry Porritt
16-10-2002, 10:34 AM
Just a bit more:
The file name you want is redux.asx, but I could only get it to play audio with WMP 7. If you type that url into WMP with redux.asx instead of redux.html, WMP will open the file.

Terry Porritt
16-10-2002, 10:36 AM
Gee, what I meant to say was that Im nearly sure redux.asx IS the file, not a shortcut to the file.

sal
16-10-2002, 12:22 PM
oh, yeah. im not too sure bout the asx file extension, but i know it aint a 'solid' file if you know what i mean, it reminds me of a shortcut ;)

grtz sal.
tga

Terry Porritt
16-10-2002, 12:59 PM
Yes I think you're right, I did a bit more checking and tried to re-post but got bounced. An asf is a "redirector" shortcut file to an asf file, I think. There may not be a way past it if they dont want you to download.
I still dont know why my WMP didnt play video from that url, only audio.

loser
16-10-2002, 02:39 PM
I don't think you can. Part of the reason that streaming media exists is to get around copyright issues. Storing the file on a users computer can be a breach of copyright, while viewing/listening to the media may not be...
Did it as part of a paper last semester at uni...

Good luck, but I don't think you will be able to do it.

Graham L
16-10-2002, 02:45 PM
However, if the bytes are coming into your machine, they can be collected and saved in a file. There's probably no option to do it in the playing programmes, because of that copyright consideration, but I'm sure someone has written a programme to do it. :D It's probably quite a trivial bit of coding.

loser
16-10-2002, 02:53 PM
however if the bytes are encrypted and only the player can decrypt them...
(ok, I realise that it IS possible to break most encryption schemes, but do you really want to wait for a century to watch one music vid? I don't think so... ;))

It's an interesting thought though Graham, I might have to do some reading... (instead of studying for exams and writing up lab reports like I should be, with only 2 weeks left til exams... eek!)

Graham L
16-10-2002, 03:12 PM
If you want to keep the file to play later, you don't need to handle any encryption ... just create a stream from the file, and feed it into the programme. This has happened in the data buffers at each router and network card the stream has passed though on the way from the server to the user's playing software. I'm just suggesting a greater "latency". (Like hours or days or weeks, rather than milliseconds) :D

loser
16-10-2002, 03:52 PM
> If you want to keep the file to play later, you don't
> need to handle any encryption ... just create a
> stream from the file, and feed it into the programme.

This is true...

Graham L
16-10-2002, 04:04 PM
"You can do anything with software".

Do it after the exams.

Terry Porritt
16-10-2002, 05:14 PM
Hi Sal, this slightly legally dubious ? program, ASFRecorder from here, may do what you want:
http://asfrecorder.chat.ru/

There seems to be various mirror sites for it, but the above works.
Cheers

Graham L
16-10-2002, 05:17 PM
"legally dubious"? It's just buffering on disk, and adding some latency. :D

Terry Porritt
16-10-2002, 05:28 PM
You and I know that, but there are some who could take exception to having their files leached. ]:)

sal
17-10-2002, 12:22 AM
heh, thanks guiys, (i also got some new word combinations (broken down, i understand them :D)) and yeah, ill give that program a try (.ru ?:|)

grtz sal.
tga

sal
17-10-2002, 02:04 AM
thanks man, the program worked a treat, and i thought leeches were people who linked to downloads on other peoples sites?, i just thought of myself as someone who really apreciated the work, and would like to marvel at it offline :)

grtz sal.
tga