PDA

View Full Version : crwriter/dvd combo performance

zip1nz
15-10-2002, 10:48 AM
i have a Pentium 550 128meg ram and am considering buying a cdwriter / dvd combo drive does anyone know if they will be fast enough to watch dvds hired from a video outlet on my tv through the tv out on my video card. My video card is a sniper2 nvidia riva tnt 2 true 128 bit 32mb on board memory. I can watch movies quite comfortably from my 20x cdrom drive.

tweak\'e
15-10-2002, 11:18 AM
it should be fast enough tho to watch throught the tv out yu will need to disable the macrovision. that depends a bit on what tv out chip is used. tv tool is one program that should do that.

zip1nz
15-10-2002, 02:17 PM
what is the macrovision ? and why do I need to disable it ?

tweak\'e
15-10-2002, 02:57 PM
when you play a dvd the tv out from the video card gets disabled. which is why you need a tvtool to enable it so you can watch dvd on tv.

zip1nz
16-10-2002, 02:34 PM
great thanks. tried out tv tool but it dosent work with any format might be doing something wrong but i dont think so, heard about detonator drivers but ther is too many to chose from at a quick glance.

zip1nz
19-12-2002, 06:45 PM
Just incase anyone is interested I now have a 16X samsung dvd drive and seperate cd writer in the hope that they will last longer than a single unit doing both jobs. 16x is way fast enough to watch movies through my tv out. i have almost managed to disable the macrovision to get it working on hired dvd. And just to round it off DVD is awesome quality !!!
Next step is a surround sound, sound card abd a wireless kybd & mouse set