PDA

View Full Version : Copy User Information between profiles

Graham Petrie
15-10-2002, 10:43 AM
Hi, Win XP Pro.

After reading a KB article recommendingme to do so, I destroted my admin rights for my logon and created a new user for all of my admin tasks. This way I will not be logged in as admin all of the time (for reasons similar to not logging in as root all the time in linux).

The prob is, I have found that HEAPS of apps only work when logged in as Admin. This is no prob as I can "run as..." admin from my Power User account. The prob is when running my backup app, etc. It won't work unless logged in as admin (as it needs to access system files) and my backup settings are stored locally for one user. This means that when I run the app as admin, my backup settings are not loaded, and when I run it as a user, they are, but it won't perform the backup.

It would also be nice to have admin have all of the other settigs for my various apps, etc (Like my favorites in regedit (which I can now only use in Admin).

Any idea how to quickly copy my user settings to admin so that I don't have to do it all manually??

G P

Babe Ruth
15-10-2002, 10:50 AM
GP,
Have a look at my thread WinXP_users (http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=24078&message=77427&q=copy+user#77427)

Note the comments from the other users re admin account also.

Cheers, Babe.

Graham Petrie
15-10-2002, 11:43 AM
Cheers mate - worked a trick. Only prob was, I created the account I wanted to move everything to, and then went to login as Administrator (the default one) and it had disappeared since I had created a new ADmin account (Windows hides the default one if you create a new one). So, I had to do what the others did and create a third admin account to copy accross info into the second one, then delete the third. Is there anyway of telling windows not to hide the system admin account?

Anyway - worked a charm.

Thanks

G P

Babe Ruth
15-10-2002, 11:45 AM
GP,

re the 'hidden' admin account... let me look that one up.. I'll get back a little later to you.

Cheers, Babe.

Graham Petrie
15-10-2002, 12:27 PM
Let me clarify:

The account still exists in that I can "run as.." Administrator, and it has a folder in the sysdir, and it exists, but it is not visible in the users section of control panel, or on the welcome screen.

If I delete all of the admin accounts I have created, then it reappears, but if I then create an admin account, it is gone again. Weird, but seems like it is supposed to do that for whatever reason.

G P

Babe Ruth
15-10-2002, 12:37 PM
GP,

ok you can enable the Administrator on the Welcome screen by either using TWEAKUI for XP (part of the Powertoys for XP PowerToys (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp)) or modifying the registry yourself.

registry hack:
1. Start the Registry Editor
2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon \ SpecialAccounts \ UserList \
3. Right-click an empty space in the right pane and select New > DWORD Value
4. Name the new value Administrator
5. Double-click this new value, and enter 1 as it's Value data
6. Close the registry editor

To access user accounts via control panel try this:
START | RUN and in the run box type control userpasswords2 and click OK

Babe.

Graham Petrie
15-10-2002, 06:18 PM
Thanks - couldn't find it in tweakui, but the registry hack worked a treat.

Wonder why they hide it???

I have found that XP has so many functions hidden away where they cannot be found that are useful, nay vital for the use and maintenance of your PC.

Dumb.

G P

Graham L
15-10-2002, 06:36 PM
They hide them in the hope that people won't find them and cleverly "improve" the settings so that nothing works. :D Not all problems with Microsoft software are due to faults in the software; some are due to faults in the user wetware.

Example ... there has to be an Administrator account. I heard recently of a user who removed it. Some things stopped working. ;-)

-=JM=-
15-10-2002, 07:15 PM
Graham Petrie, would you be able to give me the link to the KB article if you've still got it.

I just don't really see what good having a separate account for doing you admin tasks is if you know what you are doing (which you seem to).

Graham L
15-10-2002, 07:23 PM
I think the idea is that anyone who manages to break in to the machine will go for the Administrator account. If it's not there, or has very limited powers, there is much less damage possible. Thus you make an account which is not Administrator to do those tasks. However ...

It's standard in *nix systems to not have the root account able to log in remotely. root can only log in from the console.

Graham Petrie
15-10-2002, 08:54 PM
JM, no link (maybe it was just this help item below):

Why you should not run your computer as an administratorRunning Windows 2000 or Windows XP as an administrator makes the system vulnerable to Trojan horses and other security risks. The simple act of visiting an Internet site can be extremely damaging to the system. An unfamiliar Internet site may have Trojan horse code that can be downloaded to the system and executed. If you are logged on with administrator privileges, a Trojan horse could do things like reformat your hard drive, delete all your files, create a new user account with administrative access, and so on.

You should add yourself to the Users or Power Users group. When you log on as a member of the Users group, you can perform routine tasks, including running programs and visiting Internet sites, without exposing your computer to unnecessary risk. As a member of the Power Users group, you can perform routine tasks and you can also install programs, add printers, and use most Control Panel items. If you need to perform administrative tasks, such as upgrading the operating system or configuring system parameters, then log off and log back on as an administrator.

If you frequently need to log on as an administrator, you can use the runas command to start programs as an administrator. For more information, see To start programs as an administrator.

G P

Even if I don't need it, it was an excellent learning experience as I now know how to set up most of the user options in XP, whereas I had no idea before.

-=JM=-
15-10-2002, 11:56 PM
hmmm thanks for that G P I might have to have another look into it.

I had presumed it was more to protect yourself from deleting system files or something, which generally XP comes up with a rather large warning about anyway. But I can understand it for the trojan idea.