PDA

View Full Version : PC running slower

secureman1
15-10-2002, 09:45 AM
Hi there again.
My computer is running slower than I can remember. Granted I have a 1200 Mhz Celeron Proc, and 19 Gig Hard drive and 232 MB of Ram and I have approx 16000 files in approx 7-8 GB of memory, there is a delay with most things like internet connection, start menu pop-up, loading games, and shutting the pc down, and loading to desktop after start-up. Is there any way I can speed the performance up without deleting files or zipping them up, or defragmenting the hard-drive ( which doesn't really work anyway). Or do I just put up with it lagging behind? Please ease my concience

mashimaro
15-10-2002, 09:55 AM
What OS r u using ?

btw defragmenting does speed up files/disk access, the only time that it doesn't seems to work is when those file are not fragmented to begin with :)

secureman1
15-10-2002, 10:04 AM
I'm running Windows xp professional. I've tried defragmenting twice and it did go a little faster for a while and just went back to how it is now. It isn't a long slow delay, but it is annoying.

mashimaro
15-10-2002, 10:19 AM
Umm. I would guess something is hogging some of your CPU usage.. try the Task Manager and have a look under the Processes tab and see if any process is utilizing the CPU while it is on idle. Your CPU% usage should be less than 5% .. (mine is 0%) when no application is opened and on idle.

If it's more than 5%, check what process it is and see if you can End task it.