PDA

View Full Version : How To Compress WAV files

willbry
15-10-2002, 07:07 AM
Friends from time to time lend me CDs from which to record various tracks onto my PC to listen to while working. The trouble is each of these takes about 25 MB of space on my hard drive. Is there any way I can compress these wav files so as not to lose too much audio quality but also regain a fair bit of valuable disk space? I haven't got that many so don't want to spend money on a programme to do this. Is there any free software that will allow me to compress these or can winzip ,which I have, do the job? Thanks for any suggestions.
Willbry

roofus
15-10-2002, 07:18 AM
Don't take this the wrong way, but where have you been for the last 5 years.!!!

Yes you can compress your wav's its called MP3
so all you have to look for is a wav to MP3 converter, and im sure there are many free ones out there.
A quick searh on http://www.download.com
and i found this link here (http://download.com.com/3000-2140-10153878.html?tag=lst-0-2)
Note: this prog has spyware, if you don't want spyware just type "wav to mp3" in the search box, or "mp3 encoding"

hope this helps
p.s. Mp3's will compress your wav's at about a ration of 12:1
depending on which compression you choose.

There are many MP3 applications out there. Many will let you at the click of a button record your CD to MP3
If all this sounds too difficult load up your windows media player. Stick in your CD and have a play around, you will see that you can copy your cd to your hard-drive using Microsofts WMA format, which is even smaller than MP3 but not as popular.

Graham Petrie
15-10-2002, 09:31 AM
There are plenty of WAV to MP3 converters.

I use dbpoweramp Music Converter (DMC) at dbpoweramp (http://www.dbpoweramp.com).

There are other formats than MP3 aswell all with different levels of compression and quality. There is plenty of info on that site to explain the differences.

There are also plenty of programs out there to do the conversions. Take your pick.

(Just search using Google (http://www.google.com))

G P

tweak\'e
15-10-2002, 10:20 AM
prefer cdex or EAC myself

http://www.cdex.n3.net/

tweak\'e
15-10-2002, 10:28 AM
i forgot to add. most codecs used (mp3,ogg,wma etc) are lossy. ie they lose data. its a trade off. file size vers quality.

i don't recommend WMA.

OGG is good, free,open source.(suggest quality setting of 5)

mp3 actually has many different codecs. lame is one of the more comman free ones. there are a few settings which effect file size and quality. i would suggest if you what good quality use 160k VBR or higher.(the higher you go the better but the file size gets bigger)

Graham Petrie
15-10-2002, 10:37 AM
tweake'e, I like dbpoweramp because it is insanely fast comapred to the others, and very simple (clean interface). But everyone has their own favourite, and arguing their merits is worhtless.

I would like to add that if you want lossless compression (ie not sound quality lost) you can use Monkey's Audio codec. The problems are that you need a player to support it (dbpoweramp :)), more space as the compression is about half that of MP3's (but still a quarter the size of a WAV), and they are less popular, so compatibility is an issue.

G P

tweak\'e
15-10-2002, 10:51 AM
<flame time>.......nah just kidding ;-)

to get the waves on to the hardrive he will need a cd ripping program (which begs the question "how did he get the waves onto the hardrive in the first place?"). dbpoweramp will do it (not sure if you need the power pack to do it) but its noway near as good as cdex or EAC. tho its converting is nice and simple.

lossless codec might be a little pointless if its being played through standard pc speakers(fantastic if you want perfect quality). good old winamp has monkeys plugin.

now stand back for the flames from the musicmatch crowd.........hehehehe ;-)

there are heaps of choices out there. go explore, have fun!

one litle tip- you will proberly see somewhere that 128kb/s is "CD quality". load of BS. 128 is bearable but fairly poor quality.

Graham Petrie
15-10-2002, 11:31 AM
> but its noway near as good
> as cdex or EAC.

In what ways? - I am always open to try new software if it is genuinely better, and not just a personalpreference thing.

BTW, IMHO this is not a hijack as the original question has been answered :)

G P

tweak\'e
15-10-2002, 02:02 PM
just went back and fired up my copy of dbpowerapp.

its pretty basic. eac and cdex have more optoins for the actual ripping side of things which is handy for those damaged/tricky cd's. i use cdex in paranoid mode.

biggest fault was no id tag for OGG. :_|

(mayby a bug due to fixed????)

roofus
15-10-2002, 04:24 PM
Graham, tweake is correct in his comments. We have had many threads in regards to encoding, decoding, of lossy formats. try here (http://pressf1.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=25441&message=89141&q=OGG#89141) for example.
Basically Tweake and loshing are the experts on this stuff, and i'ld like to think i'm not far behind.
Some codec's can be fast, but it results in poor quality above a certain sound level.

As for programmes, yes this is a different story, but remember a programme can only be as good as the codec it uses.

tweak\'e
15-10-2002, 04:38 PM
whoa...ease up there roofus. graham knows his stuff fairly well. he wan't actually talking about the codecs themselves, more of the actual programs.

everyone has favorite apps. somethings work well for some and not for others. i like cdex and i use eac for some hard to rip cd's. dbpoweramp is not a bad program. its simple fairly easy to use. just dosn't have a few features i like. for those not to fussed with cd ripping i would recommend dbpoweramp.(i still have it installed as it is handy at times)

willbry
15-10-2002, 04:54 PM
Hi Roofus Graham P and Tweak'e
Thanks a lot guys for your responses. You've given me masses to digest and lots of sites to follow up. I do appreciate all your help,
Cheers
Willbry :-)

Graham Petrie
15-10-2002, 05:31 PM
:D

roofus
16-10-2002, 08:15 AM
Let me at him Tweake let me at him. I float like a butterfly and sting like a bee!!

Soz Petrie

Chilling_Silence
16-10-2002, 12:33 PM
For an all in one, simple and easy to use, yet powerful enough for most, I'd reccommend you goto www.goldwave.com (Yeah.. I'm preaching it again!) and get Goldwave, and LameEnc for encoding MP3's.

For MOST people, 128KB or 192KB suffices, but some people still notice the difference.

Goldwave will also do a batch conversion of your current WAV files to MP3's at whatever bitrate you specify. It will also do audio Extraction from CD's, but for that, I'd reccommend AudioCrusher for MP3's, not too sure about OGG...

Again, this is one of those personal preference/choice things, It's up to you how you do it, there are sooooo many ways you can go.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Graham Petrie
16-10-2002, 02:15 PM
?:|?:| You lost me roofus - you need to stop whatever it is you're taking ?:|?:|

Peace

G P

willbry
16-10-2002, 05:46 PM
Thanks C S for your information too. There's certainly plenty of options from which to choose. Appreciate your help
Willbry :-)

kiwibeat
16-10-2002, 05:59 PM
I use audiograbber or audio catalyst myself easy and fast to use does a cd in about 4 mins depending on the compression ratio you choose

tweak\'e
16-10-2002, 09:54 PM
the problem with audiocatalyst (and i think it applies to audiograbber) is that it uses the Xing codec which is crappy. might have been bearable years ago but even the free codecs surpass it.