PDA

View Full Version : Win 98SE restarting unexpectedly!

wun2win
14-10-2002, 10:53 PM
When shutting down the computer using "Shutdown", the computer restarts as though the "Restart" has been selected in the "Shut Down Windows" dialogue box. How do I fix this please?

Jen C
14-10-2002, 11:28 PM
Hi wun2win

Have a read of this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q238096&)

Jen

wun2win
15-10-2002, 07:38 PM
Hello Jen
Thanks for the link however I had checked this out before posting the question and I could not see any direct reference to restarting (plenty of references to other crashes and shutdown problems). As far as references to damaged files - how to find let alone fix? I thought there was a "bit" I could check and set in the registry but no mention of that either.

Babe Ruth
15-10-2002, 08:12 PM
Wun2win,

1. Have you downloaded and installed the Win98SE Shutdown Supplement. This is referenced in the article that Jen posted.

2. What other fixes have you applied (the relevant ones) that were also referenced in that article.

Cheers, Babe.

wun2win
24-10-2002, 09:02 AM
Hi Babe. To cut a long story short, I re-applied the disable fast shutdown registry fix as per the downloaded article and all is well. The first time I used this I ended up with all sorts of vertical black and white lines etc. It seems to be behaving itself now. Thanks for the encouragement to persevere. Regards.

Babe Ruth
24-10-2002, 09:06 AM
Wun2win, All's well that ends well. Good stuff!

Cheers, Babe.