PDA

View Full Version : outlook won't disconnect

veterannz
14-10-2002, 08:53 PM
I am using Office XP. While I have ticked the box to make OUTLOOK hang up after use, it continues to stay connected. Anyone have any idea how to fix the problem?

Jim B
14-10-2002, 10:14 PM
Is this the box you have selected
Tools/Options
Mail Setup Tab
At the bottom - Hang up when finished with a manual Send/Receive
Click Apply and OK

Outlook XP is more trouble than it is worth unless you have a use for all the bells and whistles that come with it.
Outlook Express is more suitable for home use, is easy to set up and use and gives less trouble than Outlook XP

csinclair83
14-10-2002, 10:21 PM
hmm urs wont disconnect
mine wont connect..
whats up with it 2nite..i'm using outlook express on winxp home

error i get is

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.quik.co.nz', Server: 'pop.quik.co.nz', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '+OK ', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

my server time out is 2 minutes..so if no activity for 2 mins it times out..i tried 5..still same error..

Jim B
14-10-2002, 11:20 PM
Assuming there is no problem with the mail server than it is likely you are getting stuck on a large email with an attachment or an email with illegal characters that the mail server does not like.

Go to the ISP web mail and download the headers and if there is anything suspicious delete it from there and try Outlook express again
You can also call the ISP helpdesk and get them to check and delete the message for you.

csinclair83
14-10-2002, 11:32 PM
Went onto isp website and checked emails from there..and forwarded/deleted...and left none in inbox..and then went into outlook express and sent myself a email, totally blank with "xxx" as the subject..and sent..successfully..and then pressed send/receive...to receive it..and it still said the error..
so am assuming server is down to receive via outlook but not via the website..so will check 2nite...

its www.quik.co.nz so will leave it for 2nite and see what happens in the morning..but what if it still does it? contact the help desk i guess?

Jim B
15-10-2002, 08:30 AM
First switch off any firewalls and anti-virus and try again in case OE is being blocked.

Sounds as if OE has a problem, the accounts can get corrupted and stop working.

Delete the account(Tools/Accounts/Mail Tab in OE) and set up a new one (Add/Mail) note the server setting in the old account before you delete the account.

csinclair83
15-10-2002, 10:44 AM
y would it be blocked?
i've been using this computer for nearly a month now..and oe as well...had no problems up 2 now?

but will try ur suggestion when i get home 2nite from UCOL