PDA

View Full Version : game creates new XP profile ?

pyrrhic
14-10-2002, 02:54 PM
I recently installed (XP compliant?) Dungeon Siege and found after restarting that it had created a new user folder with my 'full computer name' as an extension eg, user.COMPUTERNAME
My old admin profile can still be reached through c:\documents and settings but is not being used when logged in.
In disgust I've uninstalled DS but the new profile still automatically logs in. Im not sure if it is an 'actual' profile as its not listed in User Accounts but I have lost all of my original settings, desktop etc.
I figured that this can be easily fixed but thought I should ask 1st.
How do i get rid of this profile cleanly and return to my old admin?

Craigb
14-10-2002, 04:44 PM
I may be wrong about this, but I don't think the game had anything to do with it. I run XP as well and have an account for each of the family members (Mum, Dad and 2 kids). XP has created 3 sets of folders for each account as well as for a user account.
1. C:\Documents and Settings\”family members name\...
2. C:\Documents and Settings\family members name.computer name\..
3. C:\Documents and Settings\family members name.computer name.000\..
There are also these folders for Default User and Owner. I don't know if this is supposed to be like this, or if it occured when I got the computer and had a bit of trouble getting it going before I saw the light and got in touch with the computer support people I got it off. If this is not right then can someone tell me how to get back to one set of folders each as it some times makes it hard to remember where stuff is.

Craigb
15-10-2002, 07:07 PM
Ignor my last post. I had a flash of brilliance and fixed the problem. Just saved what needed to be kept elsewhere and deleted then recreated the account one at a time. Now everyone has one folder each. Turns out you get what I described if you create an account with a name that already exists.