PDA

View Full Version : Running modem for long periods

Mike
14-10-2002, 02:45 PM
If I were to connect via dial-up modem and download something kind of large (around 600mb), and just have this going continuously for about 24 or so hours, is this likely to damage my modem?

I've been connected at the moment for <looks> just over 20 hours, and have downloaded 330mb and uploaded about 10mb in that time (almost finished, cause I started the file earlier then disconnected yesterday afternoon) - is this likely to hurt the modem, or is it quite okay?

I've been connected this long before, but never had it downloading steadily the whole time.

Mike.

Chilling_Silence
14-10-2002, 02:51 PM
Naaah, Should be sweet as. Just make sure you use a download manager just in case your ISP does D/C you. Otherwise, leave Outlook Express open and set it to auto check for messages every 10 minutes, this is activity both ways and means your ISP is less likely to disconecct you for one way data transfer, which does happen. Although in sayin that, on a 28K modem, I was connected with Ihug for over 3 days solid and not a single prob, downloading the whole time, got a gig or two done.

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Mike
14-10-2002, 03:04 PM
I'm using the Microsoft File Transfer Manager - for downloading Beta software from microsoft... they don't provide an URL or allow you to use FTP to download their beta stuff anymore (not their big new beta stuff anyway) so I can only use this...

but it DOES resume (well done MS!) and they reckon it gives 0% corruption for large downloads over dial-up, so here's hoping! Hmmm... only 8mb to go now YAY!

Mike.

mashimaro
14-10-2002, 03:40 PM
No prob bud .. my machine is on 24/7 and so is the external modem for the period of 5 yrs so far and the modem still works :D

The longest connection I had was around 7 days ..

Graham L
14-10-2002, 04:12 PM
The modem should be "as reliable" as the rest of the computer. :D That could mean anything, couldn't it.? But if it survives the first hour, it should run for a long time. Barring lightning strikes. :-(

Baldy
14-10-2002, 04:20 PM
Shouldn't have any effect at all Mike. Its time like these, you need Jetstream!

BALDY:-)

Clueless
14-10-2002, 04:48 PM
i did 24/7 for 2 or 3 years, no problems either, that was with a dynalink modem.... It would have to be a real nasty modem to not like long periods of connection.

Of course theres no such thing as nasty hardware is there!?

Mike
14-10-2002, 05:34 PM
>>> Barring lightning strikes. :-(

LOL There was a lot of lightning here today - and LOTS of hail... the ground was white (looked like snow) :D

Mike.

Terry Porritt
14-10-2002, 05:44 PM
Aw gee, that could be bad Mike, especially if there's a strike on the phone lines whilst your computer is running. Happened to me and the HV went right through the system and allowed the power supply I think to burn things up, including m/b and cpu. My other computer was switched off, and "only" the modem blew.
Ive since made up devices with gas arrestors and Transorb diodes, but I'd still not like to have things switched on with lightning around, nasty :)

Mike
14-10-2002, 05:49 PM
Do you think there's much chance of lightning strike when all our phone and power lines are underground?

Mike.

Graham L
14-10-2002, 05:51 PM
Perhaps we should use valve front ends for the modems. The USSR kept on using valves for their aircraft equipment --- resistant to EMP.:D

A valve modem would be more useful than the new Aopen motherboard with a dual triode in its onboard sound unit (which uses a Sovtek 6922).

Clueless
14-10-2002, 05:51 PM
Being inner city with all services undergroud lightning is not a bother to me.
However at the beggining of last year my better got a upgrade plus when her well insured computer died as a result of lightning strike on the phone lines..
The new computer was a substantual improvement on the old one, complete with scanner as well!!...... Hows youur insurance?

Mike
14-10-2002, 05:55 PM
>>> Hows youur insurance?

my computers are well insured :D

Mike.

Babe Ruth
14-10-2002, 07:01 PM
Let's see... switched on {adsl}modem on mid June 2002... hmmm haven't turned it off yet.

Babe.

-=JM=-
14-10-2002, 10:34 PM
I did around 2-3 months connected download/uploading heavily on dialup and it worked fine.

Rod ger
15-10-2002, 09:29 PM
Yep Lightning works underground too. We had Telecom looking at our phone lines for lightening strikes a few years ago. Some sort of electronic toy that measures the distance down the line to where the damage is. Otherwise its very hard to spot, apparently the wires get fried into particles inside the insulation and, if they are arranged properly, will pass the messages OK But if a heavy truck goes by it can upset everything Bingo! bitrate zero or definatley substandard.