PDA

View Full Version : CD Rom only working sometimes

Neil McC
14-10-2002, 01:36 PM
HI,anyone help,please.My sis's CD Rom has packed a sad.When I went round and loaded a cd the light flickered and the program loaded.Closed that,went into Win Explorer and selected drive c,said it couldn't find it.Tried again to load the same cd,the light didn't light,and nothing happened.Another cd,the light flickered but stopped.So sometimes it's finding the cd,other times nothing happens.And Explorer says it's not there.Suggestions?Windows98,and the pc is over 4 years old.The boys have used it a lot to play their music on.

Chilling_Silence
14-10-2002, 01:44 PM
How badly scratched are these CD's?
I'd be geared to think that the cable might be coming loose inside the box. Wait a while and see what others say.

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

Neil McC
14-10-2002, 01:53 PM
Hi CS,the cd's look ok.Neil.

mashimaro
14-10-2002, 01:54 PM
Happens on most of the CDs? You might wanna clean the lens as u've mentioned it's 4 yrs old. :D

Graham L
14-10-2002, 04:42 PM
You could try a head-cleaning CD. But after 4 years, and a lot of use, the laser diode could be a bit tired. CD drives are pretty cheap now. Try Pricespy (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/). (A CD head cleaner will cost about $20 ... a drive about $62.)

E.ric
14-10-2002, 05:19 PM
Also I belive CD lens don't like smokers they fog up, I don't smoke so I not sure, on the other hand sometimes when I get made I steam, but never had a problem so far and my keyboard is still in one piece.

Neil McC
15-10-2002, 05:12 PM
Thanks guys.Tried cleaning the laser for her today,still didn't work so fitted a new drive for her.That works.