PDA

View Full Version : Ok, apologies, and I've got some explaining to do ...

james
14-10-2002, 11:45 AM
... we're releasing a new forum that will use the same application as this one. It has required some testing which could only be done on the live server and that, unfortunately, involved occasional bouncing of Tomcat.

The last set of bounces seems to have caused some database corruption and it looks like a couple of threads have been lost.

Sincere apologies to those who may have to re-post.

Pressf1 will be as solid as a rock from here on in i.e. I'll leave it alone.

I've tried to replicate the null pointer exception people have been getting when posting and haven't been able to. If you do get it again could you please inform me in this thread as I will keep a watch on it and get on to the problem immediately.

Again, apologies for the cock-up.

James

Baldy
14-10-2002, 12:12 PM
No apologies required James........ blame it on the computer LOL

I am intrigued about the new Forum though. Spill the beans!!!!!!

BALDY:-)

Clueless
14-10-2002, 12:29 PM
So it wasn't a deliberate attempt to bring the forum down ???

Quick cancell the hit squad!

Chilling_Silence
14-10-2002, 01:43 PM
I knew that bruce tripping of the Cat5 couldnt loose some of the threads...
*Goes into deep thinking about absolutely nothing, just for the sake of it...*
:D

-=JM=-
14-10-2002, 10:51 PM
hmmm a new forum release............

is this the one with editing of posts and different mod levels :D

would be good if it was.

phillip pond
15-10-2002, 12:34 PM
is he a new moderator??
theres too many hhahahahahahah

TiM©:*)

Clueless
15-10-2002, 02:13 PM
i think it goes that the tech staff can moderate, but as a rule onle bruce and robo actually do..

so who tripped over the cat 5 this time?

james
15-10-2002, 02:51 PM
Things have been bad today ...

... real bad.

Babe Ruth
15-10-2002, 02:57 PM
james,

Ah to be sure... Even after the longest day, there is an evening

Mind you.. There’s nothing so bad that it couldn’t be worse

Cheers, Babe.

Biggles
15-10-2002, 02:58 PM
Two words: Solar Flares.

Clueless
15-10-2002, 03:01 PM
>Solar Flares

Are you being a bit criptic there Bruce, or does that mean something that went over my head?

tweak\'e
15-10-2002, 03:04 PM
lol bruce.

i see there a few minor things broken like emotions not poping up on a seperate page.

Jen C
15-10-2002, 03:09 PM
I guess you don't want to know about the null pointer exceptions I was inudated with earlier this afternoon.

re Solar flares: aren't they known for causing electrical disturbances in the stratosphere?

re Tomcat: have you considered having him neutered?

Clueless
15-10-2002, 03:12 PM
>>re Tomcat: have you considered having him neutered?

Jen going by the performance of the server today, there's a good chance Tomcat allready is

-=JM=-
15-10-2002, 05:13 PM
I think there is some more explaining needed James ;)

Baldy
15-10-2002, 05:35 PM
> Two words: Solar Flares.

You been playing with your WMP visualisations?

Biggles
15-10-2002, 06:09 PM
I think there is some more explaining needed James

If Jim could explain it all he would. But frankly, right now we can't. There's a bug somewhere, we still don't know what it is, and until we nail it there is likely to be more distruption. Really sorry about this people.

joey
15-10-2002, 06:21 PM
James had a bad weekend with the women, he's taking it out on the forum web server, I'm sure of it!!

Baldy
15-10-2002, 06:21 PM
Don't apologise Bruce...... you gottaexpect these pesky prons when you are dealing with computers.

I know a good forum where you can post your pesky problems.

BALDY:-)

Don't worry, the EFTPOS system crashed today as well!

vk_dre
15-10-2002, 07:08 PM
Did the EFTPOS system really crash today? I feel like I'm missing a lot of things that go on here now a days.

cheers,
v.K----------------- :D

Graham L
15-10-2002, 07:11 PM
Cast your memory back a few years. Telecom "experts" installed some small changes to improve their exchange software. It didn't work.:-( They had "backup" tapes of the working version.:-) Had they tested their tapes after they made them? No.:D Did they work? No.:_| Did it take them a long time to get the exchanges working again? Yes.

What's the total down time for PressF1? As a percentage of elapsed time? Must be pretty respectable.

Jim's doing OK.

-=JM=-
15-10-2002, 07:23 PM
Yeah that EFTPOS crash was really annoying. I was hanging out for some more caffeinated beverages and I couldn't buy any with out spending the bus money.

bmason
15-10-2002, 08:29 PM
I tried to post this at about 3:45 today but the whole site stopped working after I tried to post it:

I just got one while accessing http://pressf1.co.nz/forum.jsp?forum=1&start=15&thRange=15 (aka page 2). I wasn't logged in at the time.

Heres the stace trace incase you don't have it logged:

PressF1 Error Summary
PressF1 Version: 2.2.2
Stack Trace:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.jivesoftware.forum.ConnectionAdapter.prepareSt atement(Unknown Source)
at com.jivesoftware.forum.database.DbForum.loadFromDb (DbForum.java:1623)
at com.jivesoftware.forum.database.DbForum.(DbForum.j ava:192)
at com.jivesoftware.forum.database.ForumCache.get(For umCache.java:36)
at com.jivesoftware.forum.database.DbForumFactory.get Forum(DbForumFactory.java:418)
at com.jivesoftware.forum.ForumFactoryProxy.getForum( ForumFactoryProxy.java:102)
at org.apache.jsp.forum$jsp._jspService(forum$jsp.jav a:759)
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(Http JspBase.java:107)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWra pper.service(JspServlet.java:202)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFil e(JspServlet.java:382)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspSe rvlet.java:474)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.in ternalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.do Filter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invo ke(StandardWrapperValve.java:243)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNe xt(StandardPipeline.java:566)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(S tandardPipeline.java:472)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(Cont ainerBase.java:943)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invo ke(StandardContextValve.java:190)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNe xt(StandardPipeline.java:566)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(St andardContext.java:2343)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke( StandardHostValve.java:180)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.in voke(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:170)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNe xt(StandardPipeline.java:564)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke (ErrorReportValve.java:170)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNe xt(StandardPipeline.java:564)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invok e(StandardEngineValve.java:174)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpRequestHand ler.handle(WarpRequestHandler.java:217)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnection. run(WarpConnection.java:194)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

robo
15-10-2002, 08:57 PM
I believe the "solar flares" excuse is from the classic Bastard Operator From Hell that went around some time ago.
robo.
PS I'm just glad it wasn't me, thought it was for a bit.

petemit
15-10-2002, 09:21 PM
hi guys and girls and to anyone remotely conected with this forum you dont need to apoligise for problems your having everyone else who posts here has problems, probably far worse for them than yours are for you,(at least you know what your problems are !!) most are probably like me delving into parts of ther computers where they shouldnt be doing things they shouldnt do ,creating problems they dont even know they have created, shouting for help when the demon tweek theve just done doesnt work and guess what without fail theres always a couple of answers to the problem and they usually work.
as one who uses this forum often all i can say is thanks and keep it up
ps i loved the posts on everyones screen on friday
pete

Mike
15-10-2002, 11:03 PM
>>> Yeah that EFTPOS crash was really annoying. I was
>>> hanging out for some more caffeinated beverages and I
>>> couldn't buy any with out spending the bus money.

We were at Bayfair (mall) buying lunch and couldn't pay, so they told us to go eat and then go get some money from the ATM and pay later :D That's impressive for a foodcourt shop I reckon :) I'll go back to them, just cause they trusted us to pay later :)

Mike.

Laurie
16-10-2002, 07:06 AM
How come this thread runs rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright across my screen. I have to scroll across to get the end of the line, scroll back to read the next line etc.
Your problem or mine. All other threads ok?

Biggles
16-10-2002, 08:42 AM
Laurie - it is the code post that bmason has inserted a little way up - the error message. When you use the pre tags (see the Formatting Options) it doesn't wrap the text. This is so long lines of code can be displayed for easier reading.

Bill Boolean
16-10-2002, 09:56 AM
Joey, you're a showboat.

Biggles
16-10-2002, 10:05 AM
Bill, I think you're losing it. You're not at the peak of your game.

joey
16-10-2002, 11:53 AM
Hey Boolean - Disco boy!

I saw the girl slap you in the face at Calibre. You're not as hot as you like to think you are. Just in case you were wondering her name was Ray and "we" left together half an hour later.

Joey "How you doin...." Tribbiani

tweak\'e
16-10-2002, 11:56 AM
someones playing basketball with the forum, it keeps bounceing off the net. <groan> lol

Bill Boolean
16-10-2002, 12:01 PM
Joey, where I come from, Ray's a guys name.

Look a little closer next time, Monkey-Boy.

-=JM=-
16-10-2002, 12:35 PM
Looks like the IDG crew have blown the monthly quota again ?:)

Chilling_Silence
16-10-2002, 01:13 PM
> > Two words: Solar Flares.
>
> You been playing with your WMP visualisations?

I'd rather use WinAmp, much prettier flares, and because its non-MS, it doesnt nuke the network when I change songs :p :D ;)

Clueless
16-10-2002, 03:10 PM
>>Ray's a guys name

????????

Not always. A dear friend and ex girlfriend of mine had that name...
She was definatly female, i spent a year checking these things.
Theres more to telling the gender of a person than matching it with a name!

Clueless
16-10-2002, 03:12 PM
Mind you, the above post has absolutly nothing to do with

WHO SPILT COKE IN THE SERVER THIS TIME?????

Chilling_Silence
16-10-2002, 04:17 PM
I was just locked out for 5 minutes.... Either they've figured out how to fake server offline messages, or they really need to put that cabling right out of young bruces reach :P

james
16-10-2002, 06:03 PM
test message

Mike
16-10-2002, 07:43 PM
>>> test message

Nah, didn't work James, your post went through

Mike.

Biggles
16-10-2002, 09:05 PM
Mike, people in glass houses .... shouldn't .

Chilling_Silence
17-10-2002, 10:39 AM
Bruce demonstrates his experience in....