PDA

View Full Version : Networking products + DSL

nzwalkabout
13-10-2002, 11:39 PM
I am considering joining up to dsl + networking to other computers in the future and was wondering what do people suggest in the way of products and setups?

DSE seems to have huge array of products and I am sure there are more out there. But they seem so different, I believe external modems are good so you can run dsl to other network computers with out the main computer going (is this true?) and some are usb connected, whats best?

Thanks for your opinion.

-=JM=-
14-10-2002, 12:01 AM
You'll want an external ADSL Modem/Router. Not an internal or a USB one.

nzwalkabout
14-10-2002, 12:18 AM
why?

PeebZ
14-10-2002, 02:39 AM
you would be suited with the external DSL router so that if setup correctly as you mentioned other computers could connect to the internet if your main pc was turned off.

it would work like this..

All your computers would be fitted with a Network card...All the Computers then connect to an Hub / switch. The External DSL router would plug into the up link port on the switch.

By doing this all connects are properly load balanced and the External DSL router runs independent from any one PC.
I have added the switch into the equation as I guess you would like to have a high speed lan (ie 100Mbps) instead of the 10Mbps standard speed for the external routers

Jess

utopia
14-10-2002, 08:36 AM
> You'll want an external ADSL Modem/Router. Not an
> internal or a USB one.

However if you do intend to buy an Internal or USB aDSL Modem, you can still use Crossover Ethernet cable or a Network hub to network the Pcs together and possibly share internet too.

nzwalkabout
14-10-2002, 06:36 PM
I have checked out a few deals around and found a dsl moden that also contains a router and a switch in the single package, is this a good option compared to buying individual components?

Babe Ruth
14-10-2002, 07:04 PM
I guess if the price is right ($?) and it is an external model and has what you want with good support (if required) then why not.

Babe.

Susan B
14-10-2002, 07:48 PM
>>> All your computers would be fitted with a Network card...All the Computers then connect to an Hub / switch. The External DSL router would plug into the up link port on the switch.

godfather has mentioned a few times that he doesn't need a firewall due to his DSL setup with something that sounds similar to what you have described above.

He has said this:

Do give consideration to which connection type you have, and ifc you can afford a router it does give a good level of protection. Without one you need a good firewall as your system is wide open

Is the setup described above by PeebZ the same that he has or is it something else again?

Billy T
14-10-2002, 07:53 PM
I agree with PeebZ.

He describes my system perfectly, I have an ADSL external router and a separate hub (switch bought and due to be installed sometime soon).

Stay away from internal or USB modems, they compromise your speed and versatility.

I run four computers and all have individual internet access even when the other three are off.

Way to go

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

nzwalkabout
14-10-2002, 10:03 PM
This sounds all good, I think I will go with the external DSL modem with router built in. I have found a product with a switch built in as well by D-Link (Dlink DSL504 ADSL External Router/Modem & 4 Port Switch) so I might get that.

I am also looking to go wireless as well (AP on the LAN and a card in a laptop), what products are people using with the most success? I am keen to connect on IEEE 802.11b

PeebZ
15-10-2002, 01:50 AM
Susan,

Godfather would have a NAT built into the router. Not all routers have a NAT service built in.

NAT stands for Network Address Translation. What this does is mask all the Ip address's behind the Nat, leaving outside world only sees one address (the Server - which is the Nat).
It is pretty much impossable for a hacker to attack a Pc behind a nat.

If your interested. Check out How a NAT works (http://www.tinysoftware.com/tiny/manual/v4.0r/131.htm#o131)

Jess

Susan B
15-10-2002, 07:24 PM
Thanks for that Jess - one for the CardFile. ;-)

Big John
15-10-2002, 09:06 PM
If you want to connect multiple PC's to the net through one modem then an external router is for you with NAT built in.
However be aware that not all is heaven with this setup as certain programs dont like them and you have to set up what are called pinholes so that certain ports get mapped to certain IP addresses all the time. An example is transferring files via ICQ or MSMessanger. Because it is PC to PC connection it sends you IP address which it then cant find because you are behing the NAT.

Upside is that you also covered in most respects from hackers because they only see the IP of the router and cant get through to the PC. A very good firewall.

godfather
15-10-2002, 09:08 PM
He does indeed have a router with NAT built in. Alcatel speed touch Pro, plugged into the uplink on the hub.

The best part was setting it up. Only had to give it my adsl login, tell my PC's that it was the Host and would give them an IP addy.

As long as you power it up before the PCs its fine, but as I never power it down, I truly have 24/7 internet connection even if it has nobody to talk to at times.

Having assisted people to get their internal ADSL modems working, I would always recommend the router approach. It was fortunate that I was referred to a very knowledgeable guy (at DSE believe it or not) that really did know his stuff, when I was organising it.

nzwalkabout
17-10-2002, 11:30 PM
I am starting to get a bit lost here; firstly what is the Alcatel speed touch pro, do I need it? and it seems NAT is a good thing, so how do I get that? is it spendy?

plus any wireless knowledge out there?
cheers

PeebZ
18-10-2002, 12:55 AM
HI,

Alcatel speed touch pro.
Alcatel is the brand and speed touch pro is the model type.
If I was to recommend the best, for Price vs Value the list would contain the Alcatel speed touch pro. Having a look at the Dick Smith Website (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3dae9feb035df83e273fc0a87f990724/Search/Run) they a pretty much leading the way in price. But of course all ways check out Price Spy ADSL website (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/gid_78.html) first.

There are also plenty of other ADSL Routers / Modems out there, and I know is sounds like we a trying to push the most expensive thing out there but and this is very true for ADSL products. "You get what you pay for".

NAT's are built into the Router. So before you buy check the vendors website to see if that model has what you want.

Sorry not to read up on the wireless scene yet. Though my perception is that this system is still to expensive for the speed.

Jess

nzwalkabout
20-10-2002, 01:12 AM
The Alcatel Speed Touch sounds good but yes it is dear. I have found a D-Link DSL-504 for $460 and has every thing the Alcatel has (router, switch, NAT a.s.o) which is better? is it worth paying more and going with the Alcatel? cheers.