PDA

View Full Version : Blocking attachments

Brendonny
13-10-2002, 10:26 PM
Can I configure my e.mail program to block or remove e.mails that contain file attachments that are commonly used to spread viruses such as - vbs; bat; exe; pif and scr files?

If so how do I do it?? I am guessing that it is under message rules but I don't know where to go from there. As I send and receive a lot of pictures I could block it by size but then some pictures would get blocked. So what do I do???? I could set it up to filter by e-mail address but then viruses still comes through and I also share some movies with friends via e-mail. So how could I set up outlook to block those attachments???

Also knoppix linux doesn't install anything on the hard drive does it?? So there fore I aren't changing any configurations, settings etc. My friend is having trouble trying to convince his parents to let him use it. He has used those reasons and they still won't let him. Ever since the computer was upgraded the access to him has been tightened. He can't change any options without permission from them, he can't install programs with out permission, he can only run programs without having to get permission. He only wants to try it and perhaps use it a few times so can anyone think of any other reasons that he could use??

Brendonny

Mike
13-10-2002, 10:48 PM
>>> Can I configure my e.mail program to block or remove
>>> e.mails that contain file attachments that are
>>> commonly used to spread viruses such as - vbs; bat;
>>> exe; pif and scr files?

Damn! And I'm trying to STOP my email program from blocking some of those file extensions! :) Well, just so you know, Outlook XP will do it (and does it by default, and without tweaking you can't turn it off - I'm trying to find the tweak that lets me turn it off!)

Other than Outlook XP, I'm not sure how to do it, sorry. For some reason Outlook Express won't let me create an email account in it, so I can't check out the rules in that.

Mike.

Jim B
13-10-2002, 11:38 PM
To force Outlook XP to allow attachments.

Open the Registry Editor.
Expand the branches to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Office\ 10.0\ Outlook\ Security
Create a new string value by selecting New and then String Value from the Edit menu.
Name the new value Level1Remove.
Double-click the new Level1Remove to edit it, and enter the filename extensions you'd like to stop Outlook from blocking. Extensions should be typed in lower case, without the dots (.), and separated by semicolons (;). For example, type
exe;mdb;vbs
to allow .exe, .mdb, and .vbs attachments, respectfully.
Click Ok and then close the Registry Editor when you're done. You may have to restart Outlook for this change to take effect.

dianne
13-10-2002, 11:46 PM
To prevent attachments being blocked when using Outlook Express go to tools, options, security and untick the box that reads "do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus''

-=JM=-
14-10-2002, 12:04 AM
I've been stung by something similar Mike. Using Eudora and NAV.

I sent myself 4 attachments from school. One .txt, 2x .pas, 1 .zip (with a PAS inside).

I only got the txt, put the rest are their when i go the webmail way. So something is stopping it.

Mike
14-10-2002, 09:04 AM
Thanks for that Jim B - just what I need :)

Mike.

Susan B
14-10-2002, 04:47 PM
Brendonny, I don't know how Outlook Express or other email programs can block or remove those kinds of attachments, but I do know that my Outpost firewall will rename them for me when they come in with an email. That prevents them running if accidentally opened.

Graham L
14-10-2002, 05:42 PM
Knoppix does not write to the hard disk without being "told to". It makes a "ram disk" which it uses for temporary storage. The ram disk disappears when you reboot the machine.

The Windows partition is mounted "read-only". It takes special action to change that. At the most, if the machine is low on memory, it will ask to make a swap file. This is just a DOS file, and can be removed after the Knoppix run.

Brendonny
15-10-2002, 08:54 PM
thanks graham. hopefully he should be able to use it now. he does want to work with developing operating systems when he is older is using linux would be a great help.
His ultimate goal is to develop a operating system that will never crash like linux, be able to read linux partitions, windows partitions and also mac partitions and a few more inbetween, he also wants it to come with a development program so that you can create your own skins for it, develop programs for it and if winmodems still exist be able to use that when linux and others couldn't.
Big task I know but the development software he says may come after the realease of the OS and the development software.
So to block those attachments I go to tools>options>security>tick 'do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus' right??

Brendonny