PDA

View Full Version : dead lambs and MMX BEEP BEEP BEEP Windows 95

bRaZZiN
13-10-2002, 03:16 PM
This is a little experiment I'm doing. I've posted the same message twice, except this one has a more interesting title. And for some reason I've got a lamb running around the living room but I can't be bothered puting it outside because I'm a lazy bastard.

Right. Now for the message.

Recently, on my mother’s computer, I installed XARA webstyle 3.0. Everything worked fine, until I clicked the photo-editing button. A message came up that said, “Your processor does not support multimedia extensions” or something LIKE that. Also, when I tried to play a playstation game on the demo of the playstation emulator, Connectix Virtual Gamestation, it said, “Connectix Virtual Gamestation requires a processor with MMX technology to run”

… But the funny thing is that mum’s computer’s processor is a Pentium-166 MMX…

Is it that the Pentium-MMX does not support MMX technology? The computer also runs Windows 95, maybe win95 doesn’t support MMX… but is seems crazy that a Pentium MMX does not support MMX.

If this is a flaw with the operating system, can you tell me where I can get a patch from, or what OS I should upgrade to?

-bRaZZiN

bRaZZiN
13-10-2002, 03:23 PM
I AM THE CARNIVORE!!!!!!!!!!

Now answer my question.

Graham L
13-10-2002, 03:43 PM
Don't let the lamb pee on the keyboard. That is very bad for keyboards. I know that. ;-)

I will tell you a secret.

We don't know everything. :_| (I sometimes say "I know it all", but I'm not omniscient). So if no-one knows, or can't make a guess (good or bad), you don't get an answer.

Another secret. We don't live here. Some of us visit frequently. So if you are patient, someone who knows might visit and give you an answer to your MMX question.

tweak\'e
13-10-2002, 03:56 PM
oioioioi no spamming the board please.

i guess the program is not going to run ;-)

it may require the later cpu instuction set which thee early cpus don't have. its not an os feature, its built into the cpu itself.

will a 166 be powerfull enough to run an emulator?? most emuloters i've heard of take a bit of grunt to run.

bRaZZiN
13-10-2002, 04:03 PM
Yes, it should run... my brother's pII-200 can- 33Mhz less shouldn't make that much difference, right? oh yeah it dosen't have MMX. Damn.

Terry Porritt
13-10-2002, 04:23 PM
You just have to patient, also refering to one of your earlier posts, it is not uncommon on Press F1 for a posting to go into side trips to answer things that crop up on the way, not neccessarily directly connected to the original posting.
Now having said that, adding to tweakes comments about early MMX instruction sets being a possible cause of the problem, there is also the question of whether the motherboard and the BIOS will recognise MMX.

Have a look at this (http://www.angelfire.com/ok2/compute/info/MMXupgrade.html)

You will get a lot more info too if you do a Google search on the problem, which is where this url came from.
Good luck :)

Brendonny
13-10-2002, 07:43 PM
Maybe bRaZZiN should try linux. It is free (practically) and can run on just about any PC so I suggest that bRaZZiN upgrades his computer to linux.

Brendonny

bRaZZiN
14-10-2002, 07:42 PM
Now what I say here is... THANK YOU! all of you that replied here have been a great help. I now understand what MMX is, and therefore what the problem is. Ta.

~misfit~
14-10-2002, 10:57 PM
There is no such thing as a PII 200MHz and all PIIs *are* MMX

Brendonny
15-10-2002, 09:01 PM
that's OK bRaZZiN!! Anytime. that is what this forum is made for. it is a self help forum. Just thought that you might want to know bRaZZiN my heart rate is only 60 beats per minute. I counted for 2 minutes and it was 60 BPM each time.

Brendan