PDA

View Full Version : Credit card purchases over the internet

dianne
13-10-2002, 03:15 PM
Is it safe to use credit cards when making web purchases? The company is a reputable American company? What measures can I take to prevent abuse of my credit card? Thankyou

Hugh Jarse
13-10-2002, 03:20 PM
Hi Dianne
what I do is go to Cash Converters and use their Western Union facility.
Its a lot easier to give them the dough and let them figure out the exchange and pay that way, no cc numbers involved
rgds Hugh

Gordon.
13-10-2002, 03:42 PM
Dianne, it is safe enough providing the online store is using a secure web page. One way will be the closed padlock icon in the explorer task bar. Ensure you read the small print regarding refunds, if it is a subscription do they rebill automatically.

Mike
13-10-2002, 03:46 PM
>>> Is it safe to use credit cards when making web purchases? The company is a reputable American
>>> company? What measures can I take to prevent abuse of my credit card? Thankyou

I think so. I've purchased many things (as much as $1000 worth) over the internet using my credit card. Just make sure you know the company will deliver - read all the fine print regarding the purchase and delivery, and make absolutely sure that the page is a secure one (will have a padlock in the status bar at the bottom of the browser, or the webpage will start with "https" rather than "http"

HTH

Mike.

Billy T
13-10-2002, 03:59 PM
I've only had good experiences.

Wrong products were supplied once from the US but they quickly despatched replacements (before they got the old ones back) and gave me a code for cost-free Fedex return of the unwanted goods.

Take note of Mike's advice, and don't buy from organisations that are not reasonably "mainstream" that way you minimise risk.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

gramps
13-10-2002, 04:14 PM
Hi I am one of the older generation who has been purchasing over the internet for quite a few yrs now.So far I have not had any problems at all.
Just be sure to check the shipping costs.

Regards Rob

Terry Porritt
13-10-2002, 04:33 PM
Even while we discuss this, I reckon IRD officials are scheming away trying to find ways to make us pay GST on internet purchases ]:)

Ive also used PayPal to make payments. It is a bit of a worry that your details could fall into wrong hands though.

Jen C
13-10-2002, 05:18 PM
Hi Dianne

If you are intending to regularly buy things over the net you could get a second credit card with a small limit (say $500) and only use this.

I believe that banks won't make you cough up for money from fraudulant use of your card if you can prove the goods weren't delivered or the purchase was not authorised by you.

To make yourself feel more comfortable with the company you are intending purchasing from, send them an enquiry email and see how long it takes for a reply.

Jen

Billy T
13-10-2002, 05:24 PM
Good thinking on the card limit Jen :)

Great commercial nous & shows that you are more than just a bright mind behind a pretty face :x

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

dianne
13-10-2002, 07:24 PM
Thanks folks for the prompt response. I feel much more confident to buy on the internet now. I am available for any questions that relate to crocheting or knitting! LOL

Heather P
13-10-2002, 07:39 PM
Dianne,

I work for a company that provides a service entirely over the Net. And yes, dealing with us is safe. Just be aware that if you are dealing with companies off-shore NZ legislation - such as the Fair Trading Act - may not apply.

Our Ministry of Consumer Affairs has the following on its web site:

"In October 1999 the Ministry, along with a number of international government consumer agencies, joined forces in an International Internet Sweep Day assessing how well Internet shopping sites protect their customerís interests.

Of over 700 sites visited:

more than half failed to outline their payment security mechanisms
62 percent provided no refund or exchange policies
75 percent had no privacy policy
78 percent failed to explain how to lodge a complaint
90 percent failed to advise customers what laws applied to their transactions
25 percent showed no physical address"

In other words the rules that you would apply to mail order catalogues also applies to web sites. Check that the above is shown on the site you visit.

I've bought books from Amazon - both in the States and the UK. All was fine. If in doubt check your bank's policies about fraudulent credit card purchases.

glenn
13-10-2002, 08:09 PM
I made my first online transaction in 1994 and have never had a problem. Actually, I've never seen what the big deal is about giving your credit card info over the internet. If I give a waiter/waitress my card at a restaurant, what's from stopping him or her from writing down my details and using them? If you choose a legitimate retailer operating a secure site, you should be fine.

If you're looking to buy computer stuff, check out www.resellerratings.com. You can read reviews of almost any computer e-commerce site in the states.

Happy Shopping!

g

parry
13-10-2002, 08:23 PM
All good advice. Know who your dealing with if you can and good comment that NZ laws may not apply. The advice of using a lower limit card just for the net is also a good one for extra protection.

Cardholders have the right to charge back goods ( up to 60 - 90 days I think) after purchasing & this protection is why using credit cards is better than other means of payments over the net. In fact you buying goods over the net is much safer from fraud than the people selling the goods.

Some card issuers use pseudo card numbers (one use only card #'s) to protect their cardholders while others will be introducing new security measures some time next year.

Depending upon the card agreement, you are normally only liable for the first $50. Make sure you keep an eye on your card statement to so you donít miss anything untoward. The sooner you spot something wrong and report it to your bank the better.

My advice in addition to the learned F1ers above is to ensure you keep an audit trail of the transaction. Print out details especially the last page of the shopping kart where it has the list of goods and amount & the next where it says approved and where goods are being sent to.

parry
13-10-2002, 08:23 PM
All good advice. Know who your dealing with if you can and good comment that NZ laws may not apply. The advice of using a lower limit card just for the net is also a good one for extra protection.

Cardholders have the right to charge back goods ( up to 60 - 90 days I think) after purchasing & this protection is why using credit cards is better than other means of payments over the net. In fact you buying goods over the net is much safer from fraud than the people selling the goods.

Some card issuers use pseudo card numbers (one use only card #'s) to protect their cardholders while others will be introducing new security measures some time next year.

Depending upon the card agreement, you are normally only liable for the first $50. Make sure you keep an eye on your card statement to so you donít miss anything untoward. The sooner you spot something wrong and report it to your bank the better.

My advice in addition to the learned F1ers above is to ensure you keep an audit trail of the transaction. Print out details especially the last page of the shopping kart where it has the list of goods and amount & the next where it says approved and where goods are being sent to.

mikebartnz
13-10-2002, 11:20 PM
A good site besides using a secure page will use the extra three digits on the back of your credit card. This is to make sure that the person using the card details actually has the card as the 3 numbers are not on any printout.