PDA

View Full Version : To Be MMX, or not To Be MMX

bRaZZiN
13-10-2002, 02:50 PM
Recently, on my mother’s computer, I installed XARA webstyle 3.0. Everything worked fine, until I clicked the photo-editing button. A message came up that said, “Your processor does not support multimedia extensions” or something LIKE that. Also, when I tried to play a playstation game on the demo of the playstation emulator, Connectix Virtual Gamestation, it said, “Connectix Virtual Gamestation requires a processor with MMX technology to run”

… But the funny thing is that mum’s computer’s processor is a Pentium-166 MMX…

Is it that the Pentium-MMX does not support MMX technology? The computer also runs Windows 95, maybe win95 doesn’t support MMX… but is seems crazy that a Pentium MMX does not support MMX.

If this is a flaw with the operating system, can you tell me where I can get a patch from, or what OS I should upgrade to?

Mike
13-10-2002, 07:02 PM
it could be a flaw in the operator system ;) :p

Mike.

Brendonny
13-10-2002, 07:55 PM
hello bRaZZiN,

perhaps you could try linux. It is free and you can get tons of emulators for it and there are programs like Xara for the linux OS. I might be getting linux for myself shortly - looking forward to it.

Brendonny

BIFF
13-10-2002, 10:47 PM
The 166MMX was the first MMX enabled processor from Intel. The implimentation was not really complete. It is possible that the programs you are trying to run want the newer MMX which came in later. For example the 166MMX is not able to execute a MMX instruction at the same time as a floating point one.