PDA

View Full Version : DSE 56k HaM Modem

Ashley Matthews
13-10-2002, 10:23 AM
Hi,

I am running a system with RedHat 8.0.
Originally I had a Swann SpeedDemond External Modem.
I couldn't get that to work so I went out and bought
a DSE 56k HaM Modem as I read on the DSE website it supports
Linux.

However I cannot get it to work with my system.
When I booted it up the HardWare Detection program (Kudzu i think)
detected it as UnknownVendor:UnknownDevice

I've also checked the links in the manual but there are no linux drivers
for 8.0. will the 7.3 drivers work?

Has anyone had any sucsess setting up this modem under Linux?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks, Ashley

Gorela
13-10-2002, 11:04 AM
From memory Kudzu is the program that checks for new devices during start-up? I imagine that you are using Gnome as your GUI, so you need to go to System in the menu and start Internet Configuration Wizard. This will take you through the set-up.

I have no knowledge about the DSE modem, but found when I set-up my Speed Demon that I needed to fiddle around to find the serial port that the computer thought it was connected to. That is the /dev/ttyS0 had to be altered to /dev/ttyS1 or possibly 2.

This may well be the case with the DSE modem as well so be prepared to have a play around.

mikebartnz
13-10-2002, 02:05 PM
The Ham modems are only half compatible with Linux you would have been better off with the external modem. It should have worked but my Linux knowledge has a little way to go.

Graham L
13-10-2002, 02:52 PM
A common problem with modems is that the /dev/modem entry is pointing to the wrong device.

I don't like kudzu. ;-)

Have a look at how the card was detected at boot time: "dmesg | more". I am sure that Dick didn't design the card (especially since he sold DSE to Woolworths years ago ;-) )so it will be a "standard" chip set. Then look at www.linmodems.org to see if they know it.