PDA

View Full Version : WINME Clock problem

Sant
12-10-2002, 06:54 PM
Hi, in ME my clock setting is always set to the time when I shut it down.

eg. If I shut down my pc at 8pm, the next morning at 9am my pc will show 8pm last night time. If I set it correctly again to 9am at he time, everything's fine. Until I turned it on again say at 3pm, the time will show 10am (the time I shut it down).

any cure? Clean installed of ME a week ago.
New Batts changed 3 months ago!

Thanks.

Billy T
12-10-2002, 08:07 PM
Hi Sant

1) Was the clock OK before you changed the battery and did it continue working OK after the change?

2) Did you use the right battery? (should be 3 volts)

3) Try another battery, I had one recently that lasted only 3 weeks and I couldn't believe it could have failed until I exhausted all other options, gave in and checked it!

That'll do for starters. The clock shouldn't stop when the computer is off unless the battery power disappears.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Sant
13-10-2002, 11:43 AM
Hi Billy,

1) The clock was ok when I changed the batt. And continue to work well untill The recent formating of WINME.

2) I think I used the right one energizer 2032 3v but I'll make sure again.

3) Yep, I'm gonna take your adviced and go a batt change this afternoon.

emmm.. It's like the clock stop working when you shut down the pc and only start running if pc is switch on.
But if the batt fail, shouldn't that be CMOS checksum error that each time when turn on pc we need to go BIOS setting for the time?

Thanks.

Graham L
13-10-2002, 01:41 PM
Curious.

A low battery can stop the clock, without losing the "CMOS" settings. (The clock registers are not included in the checksum ... ). But the POST should detect battery low or clock errors ... because the "original" AT style RTC/CMOS memory chips had error bits for exactly those conditions. In your modern machines, the CMOS registers are likely to be EEPROM which does not need a battery backup.

It's more as if the OS is in hibernate mode, without updating its time when it is restarted, because even if the battery is low enough to stop the clock, the clock will run for a while after the power is removed. (Is the time exactly the "off" time?).

Sant, you don't mention going into the BIOS setup and correcting (or checking) the time it has. Have you done this? Because that clock is never set by Windows. Windows reads it during a boot. That's what makes me think that Windows is actually hibernating ...

Also (just remembered ;-)) that if this computer has an ATX power supply, there is external power to the CMOS clock as long as it is plugged into a live wall socket, if the computer has been powered down by software or the panel switch.

Sant
15-10-2002, 02:19 PM
yes I changed the battz and it's working now,thanks for advice Billy.. can't believe a 3 months old battz fail. It is in fact ( i think) like JM said a low battz that stop the pc clock. Last checked after shutting the pc down for 12 hours and the clock worked well.

Thanks everyone !

PS: did this forum having network porblem, I can't access the site during 12:30pm - 1pm today !!

Sant
15-10-2002, 02:21 PM
Sorry, Sould be "GRAHAM L". Read too many posts ! Thanks for helping in more details regarding pc clock and cmos ! :)