PDA

View Full Version : Orcon site,cute ftp and uploading (Susan!)

J ZEP
12-10-2002, 05:40 PM
Susan i bet you were expecting this post - LOL :^O
I finally deceided to get some web space of my own and on susans recommendation i have gone with Orcon. I also used geocities last night not a prob (but i can't use that to post on message boards)the uploading worked fine. Now i am new to this and its a learning curve i must say, obviously i am missing something very simple.
I have downloaded the cute ftp from the orcon site and seem to be able to upload (well so it shows in the right box anyway) but i can't seem to work out how to see my download on my page?? It stays the same standard new user page??? I must be missing a setting or something i am sure, but i have checked them all heaps of times, so figure it is something little i have to do to make it show on my page??
Anybody please any ideas???
Remember i am new to this webpage side of things tho!!!
Thanks in anticipation:-)

godfather
12-10-2002, 05:57 PM
If you name the page you want to load by default when accessing your site, it should be "index.html" or "index.htm"

This will replace the orcon default page.

Is that what you are looking for?

Sam H
12-10-2002, 06:03 PM
So you have uploaded a new index.html file? this should replace the previous one that was there.

Just out of curiosity Control refresh the page as it still may be being loaded from the cache.

J ZEP
12-10-2002, 06:20 PM
Brilliant guys that was exactly what i was forgetting!!! Renaming it to "index.htm" - works perfectly now:-):-):-):-):-):-)
At geocities lastnight it was really instructive about that (renaming it to index.htm), but with orcon there are no instructions to do that, so i forgot, well didn't even click as its the first time i have done anything along these lines.
Thanks you very much as my patience was running thin - i knew it was something really easy i was missing!!!! And you were so quick to respond which was a great help!!:-)

Susan B
12-10-2002, 09:55 PM
Sorry JZEP, I missed the bus here but at least the others put you right and you're all fixed up. :-)

It is simple when you know how but you are very much on your own at Orcon as they don't provide help. We can't complain though, as the price is good - free and no compulsory pop-up boxes or adverts of any kind and a good "domain name".

There are plenty of willing helpers here to assist when you get stuck, so keep at it and you'll have your own wonderful website in no time. ;-)