PDA

View Full Version : tmp files

Oxie
12-10-2002, 05:13 PM
In the past I have been used to deleting .tmp files manually from Windows\Temp folder. I now have XP and so far there are no .tmp files in that folder (which surprises me). I have done a search for .tmp files and have found lots of icq files (eg icq14.tmp) stored in Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp. In this folder there are also inf files (eg inf32.tmp) and files like ~DF29E8.tmp. Should I delete these files and if so why is the Local Settings folder hidden? Does it mean I shouldn't delete them?

I also have lots of icq .tmp files in icq\AteBrowser\cache folder. Should these be deleted?

I ran Disk Cleanup and again it verified there were no temp files to delete.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Babe Ruth
12-10-2002, 06:32 PM
Oxie,
Under Windows XP (H.E. or Pro) the users settings are normally stored under %SYSTEMDISK%\Documents and Settings\{username}
Where %SYSTEMDISK% is the Windows system disk which could be something like C: and {username} is name of the users on the computer, such as Administrator etc.

The TEMP directory would then be %SYSTEMDISK%\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Temp\...

and the temporary directory for an internet browser such as Internet Explorer %SYSTEMDISK%\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\...

So you can remove (delete) those temporary files found under those directories as you see fit.

Cheers, Babe.