PDA

View Full Version : Net BEUI Virtual Device (version 4)

Danger
12-10-2002, 10:52 AM
This device is constantly trying to access the net, like every few seconds. I have blocked it with my firewall. I have done a little searching and understand it is some sort of protocol for use in a network? Can I uninstall this as I am not conected to a network? If I get a laptop in the future and want to connect it to my pc will I need to reinstall this or will I even be able too? If I can uninstall it, how do I do so? Or can I just disable it from running for now?
ME, Sygate Firewall.

Gorela
12-10-2002, 11:29 AM
Hi Danger,

Remember that the internet IS a network that you are part of. If you aren't in a local area network you should be to remove the NetBEUI protocol. If you go to Control Panel and open Network this will show you what network protocols have been installed.

IF you have both NetBEUI and TCP/IP protocols showing it is safe to remove the NetBEUI otherwise you will have to install the TCP/IP protocol for your connection first.

By removing NetBEUI from this area should disable the Virtual Device. If your not comfortable doing this just continue to block access with your firewall.

Danger
12-10-2002, 11:39 AM
Thanks Gorela, I don't use a LAN but when I get a laptop for when I'm away from home will I need too? Will I be able to reinstall this from somewhere if I need it? Where from? Does anyone know where I can just disable it from accessing the net but can be re enabled if I need it? Of course thats what my firewall is now doing, but I would rather disable it from trying.

Gorela
12-10-2002, 11:49 AM
As I suggested go to Network option in your Control Panel. Have a look at the protocols that have been enabled. If you're just using a modem on dial up there want be to much there.

Two options. Check the FAQ on Networking and see if that helps or post the info from Network here and we can see what you need to do. By removing NetBEUI from the options it is just as easy to put them back by using the Add option.

Danger
12-10-2002, 12:24 PM
Ok Gorela, I have already looked at the network options like you suggested but it didn't answer my questions! But your last line indicates I can just remove it and add it back later if needed. I did remove it (without pressing OK) and two other options disapeared. I went to ADD to see what options were there but the ones I had removed were not. So I just cancelled, as I wasn't too sure that I would be able to get these options back, perhaps I will be able too once I press OK. Not game enough to remove stuff like this that I don't understand without confirmation I will be able to get them back later.

Graham L
12-10-2002, 01:39 PM
You can "add" and "remove" options/protocols. That's why MS give you those buttons :D

For now, remove NetBUEI -- you don't need it if you have not got a local network. (You can have a local network without it, too).

Danger
12-10-2002, 02:50 PM
Ok, I have removed Net Beui but have not rebooted. The option to add it back doe's not appear to have eventuated however.

Graham L
12-10-2002, 03:21 PM
To add a protocol, you look at the window and select(click) the interface you want to add the protocoil to, then click on the "add" button. It will give you a choice of protocols. OK?

Danger
12-10-2002, 03:45 PM
Thank you Graham, got it now.

Graham L
12-10-2002, 03:50 PM
See: "intuitive, user-fiendly". :D

tweak\'e
12-10-2002, 06:30 PM
guys i think u are missing something. NetBEUI won't show up in a software firewall. firewall only works on tcp/ip as netbeui dosn't route over the net.

what you are proberly seeing is NetBIOS which should be blocked. it can be disabled see here (http://grc.com/su-bondage.htm).